80’s hard rock snare choice

htrichardson

Hi all,
I’d like some opinions on which snare to use at gigs playing 80’s hard rock (Mötley, Ozzy, Dio, Cinderella, etc).
Here’s what I’m taking into consideration:
Size (depth, but I’m set on 8”), material, head and wire choice, sound board specs, and anything else I’m missing.

My ideal sound is Tommy’s snare on Shout At The Devil.

Thank in advance!

What’s your budget? I’d use a cast brass or cast steel snare, and tune it low. You could get away with a deep rolled/spun shell metal snare, I’d definitely use a metal-shelled drum.

What’s your budget? I’d use a cast brass or cast steel snare, and tune it low. You could get away with a deep rolled/spun shell metal snare, I’d definitely use a metal-shelled drum.
No budget issues. I was leaning toward some kind of metal material as opposed to wood for volume. I like the 14x8 DW steel or brass/nickel drums.

No budget issues. I was leaning toward some kind of metal material as opposed to wood for volume. I like the 14x8 DW steel or brass/nickel drums.

Well, then the questions become

1. Do I feel like hauling 30 pounds of drum around?

2. Is the slightly better sound from a heavy cast shell really worth the extra weight?

3. How often will I be gigging out?

Well, then the questions become

1. Do I feel like hauling 30 pounds of drum around?

2. Is the slightly better sound from a heavy cast shell really worth the extra weight?

3. How often will I be gigging out?
I hear what your saying. I gig with another band using all lightweight gear including titanium hardware.
That said, I’ve already surrendered the fact that the gear for this project will be heavy. The rest of the kit is a Pearl BLX 24/24/16/14/13, heavy duty hardware, and Paiste Rudes. Going for authentic 80’s.
Gigs will probably be once a month or so.

The first thing that came to my mind was a good mic and effects on any decent snare. It's all about that gated reverb! The DWs you are looking at would work just fine. They may hold a lower tension better because of the increased tpi of the tension rods.

The first thing that came to my mind was a good mic and effects on any decent snare. It's all about that gated reverb! The DWs you are looking at would work just fine. They may hold a lower tension better because of the increased tpi of the tension rods.
Ahh yes, gated reverb. On every 80’s recording.
Can you explain about the DW tpi? I’ve never heard of that, but could be something I need

I had already assumed there wasn’t going to be much processing on the snare sound. If there is, no way would you want a cast drum when an 8x14 Black Magic would do, for instance.

I'll also throw another hat into the ring and suggest the Tama S.L.P. Big Black Steel.

This video from Drum Center of Portsmouth, NH sold me on its value (but I'm a big Tama player anyway).

I'll also throw another hat into the ring and suggest the Tama S.L.P. Big Black Steel.

This video from Drum Center of Portsmouth, NH sold me on its value (but I'm a big Tama player anyway).

I live 35 minutes from this store. Really cool place. Seen a bunch of clinics there too

I think the best place to start is a Ludwig 14 x 6.5” Model 402 snare . It was good enough for some of the greatest Rock legends .

lightweight gear including titanium hardware.

Who makes titanium stands? There's a decent amount of aluminum, but I've yet to see titanium.

And I'd probably start with an 8x14 Recording Custom. I've personally got a Copperphonic in the same size that'll do the trick, but RCs are the most iconic 80s drums I can think of.

Back