8" Toms

A number of members here own a 8/10/12/16 Renown. I owned a black RN series (~2010) from 2015-2017.

I find that there are two distinct groups of 8/10 owners. There are those that, I suspect, played tri/quad toms in HS marching band and have them set up as normal rack toms. Then there are those of us that played in HS jazz/pit band and have them set up as auxiliary toms to the left of the hat for faux-latin or hand-drum emulation. I fall into the latter category.

TBT, I've always been a bit jealous of the drummers in the former category who appear at-home with with a bunch of RT's. They look so natural and at-ease, as if they know what they're doing.

I fit both scenarios...I bought my toms directly in reference to my tenors in HS, but also will sometimes put my 8" to the left as a tag drum.

I also sometimes et up like Clive Burr, with the 8" tom "above" the 10"...just in honor of him b/c he was one of my first influences

A number of members here own a 8/10/12/16/22 Renown. I owned a black RN series (~2010) from 2015-2017.

I find that there are two distinct groups of 8/10 owners. There are those that, I suspect, played tri/quad toms in HS marching band and have them set up as normal rack toms. Then there are those of us that played in HS jazz/pit band and have them set up as auxiliary toms to the left of the hat for faux-latin or hand-drum emulation. I fall into the latter category.

TBT, I've always been a bit jealous of the drummers in the former category who appear at-home with with a bunch of RT's. They look so natural and at-ease, as if they know what they're doing.

Or scenario 3.... I just want to unapologetically do whatever Danny Carey from Tool does. That said Danny likely falls into one of these 2 categories

But also my annoyance with 12” Tom’s is helping the push

Currently playing 10/12/16/20, but an 8" tom has been considered... This thread is not helping. :D

If I'm not mistaken Aerosmith set the limit for toms at 10 inches. There was no pulling out the big 8 inch???? No 10 is the minimum. An 8 wouldn't even hold a glass of tea, coffee, wine, or beer. It does look like a coffee can. You know maybe the 8 in could be like a refreshment reservoir with some clear food grade tubing to your mouth. Or if you're a smoker it can serve as a Hookah. I think an 8 in retrofit kit is OBVIOUSLY in need. Turn it into something useful LOL.
I wish they would serve beer in an 8" tom!

I wish they would serve beer in an 8" tom!
I knew I wasn't the only thinking of that. It's a small enough drum that you could repurpose those luggage straps sitting around the closet.

So we only need to figure out what kind of drink container/bag that can fit inside with a straw fed through the vent hole LOL. I'm thinking something those bicyclists use? Then strap the drum over your shoulder and walk around NAMM or something. Might be a way to get alcoholic beverages in, idk.

A Camelbak for drumming? :D A Drummelbak? :ROFLMAO:

(y)

I knew I wasn't the only thinking of that. It's a small enough drum that you could repurpose those luggage straps sitting around the closet.

So we only need to figure out what kind of drink container/bag that can fit inside with a straw fed through the vent hole LOL. I'm thinking something those bicyclists use?

So we only need to figure out what kind of drink container/bag that can fit inside with a straw fed through the vent hole LOL. I'm thinking something those bicyclists use? Then strap the drum over your shoulder and walk around NAMM or something. Might be a way to get alcoholic beverages in, idk.

yep...get a bladder from a hydration pack..probably a 2 liter would fit fine...

and I say you wear it around your neck like a St. Bernard if walk around NAMM...I would do that in a second

yep...get a bladder from a hydration pack..probably a 2 liter would fit fine...

and I say you wear it around your neck like a St. Bernard if walk around NAMM...I would do that in a second
Yeah, that looks like a really cool idea. I want credit for it LOL

(is there a market for the 8" toms no one wants anymore? in which case, screw the bladder bag, just spray a sealant inside and pour directly in)

I have seen a lot of negativity towards twelves, and I cannot figure out why, after changing out my snare heads, with the snares engaged, the 12" tom makes the snare wires rattle...badly. Nothing else does, just the twelve. The ten and kick are closer than the 12 is.

Yeah, that looks like a really cool idea. I want credit for it LOL

(is there a market for the 8" toms no one wants anymore? in which case, screw the bladder bag, just spray a sealant inside and pour directly in)
You will get due credit when a bunch of liquored up drummers engage in a drumstick fight and chaos ensues at NAMM. :p

Haha, give it about 10-20 years. Bringing the fewest drums possible will start to look better and better. We all go through it, trust me. :LOL:
I feel you, but still prefer to be overly prepared than under equipped. But I have always been an over achieving sob so what do I know?

I have seen a lot of negativity towards twelves, and I cannot figure out why, after changing out my snare heads, with the snares engaged, the 12" tom makes the snare wires rattle...badly. Nothing else does, just the twelve. The ten and kick are closer than the 12 is.
Possibly because they are tuned the same?

Whiskey sour

Here’s my current setup with 8/10/12/13, 14ft, 14s 22bd. I love the smaller toms and the variety I can create with the addition of the 8 & 10s which is impossible to achieve without them. So in spite of the 8” looking like a :coffee: I’m keeping it. I love coffee.
2D7ED01F-0740-4682-BBC1-5491DD8B0FBF.jpeg

You will get due credit when a bunch of liquored up drummers engage in a drumstick fight and chaos ensues at NAMM. :p

using cymbals as shields...

Back