8" Splash

zephead19

Hey all. I am looking to get a new 8" splash. I am looking at A Custom, Wuhan etc. What is your opinion of a good splash for rock music?

I will get the Paiste 2002 8" Splash, Ian Paice (Deep Purple) use one of those.

Paiste 2002 Splash
Sizes: 8" 10" 11" 12"
Weight: medium
Volume: soft to medium
Stick Sound: washy
Intensity: lively
Sustain: short
Bell Character: integrated

Sound Character: Warm, full, bright. Fairly narrow range, clean mix. Responsive, explosive, full sounding splash. The definitive, classic rock splash sound.

Note: I hope, it helps you...

Last edited:

zephead19

I will get the Paiste 2002 8" Splash, Ian Paice (Deep Purple) use one of those.

Paiste 2002 Splash
Sizes: 8" 10" 11" 12"
Weight: medium
Volume: soft to medium
Stick Sound: washy
Intensity: lively
Sustain: short
Bell Character: integrated

Sound Character: Warm, full, bright. Fairly narrow range, clean mix. Responsive, explosive, full sounding splash. The definitive, classic rock splash sound.

Note: I hope, it helps you...
Thanks! If I am in a band is that splash loud enough to be heard over guitars?

zephead19

8" Splash is good for making a break or parenthesis, while keeping the time. My suggestion go with either the 11" or 12", if you want it to be heard over the guitars.
Yeah I already have a 10" that can be heard ok but i am thinking of the 8" for just small accents so I guess it doesnt need to be as loud.

Solaris

Silver Member
I have an 8" A custom and a 10" A custom and they work great together. The 8" cuts just as well as the 10", it just a bit shorter and higher pitched.

zephead19

Thanks guys. I was looking at Wuhan for the price but I guess that going higher end is a better choice. I think the 8" A Custom is a serious possibility for me now. Thanks again!

zephead19

For sabian I would go with the AA metal-X splash and zildjian I would say K custom dark splash.
Thanks I am leaning towards a high end zildjian I will have to go to a drum shop to test them out for sure I just want an idea before I go in

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
also the Sabian Signature Max Splashes are all increadible sounding splashes, cut thru very nicely. i think there in wacky sizes though, such as 7",9",11"

still my all time favourite splashes

-Jonathan

zephead19

also the Sabian Signature Max Splashes are all increadible sounding splashes, cut thru very nicely. i think there in wacky sizes though, such as 7",9",11"

still my all time favourite splashes

-Jonathan
Thanks I have to keep all my options open I guess as I really wasnt looking to Sabian but if they sound ok... I guess will just have to go test some out

grooveweapon

Thanks I have to keep all my options open I guess as I really wasnt looking to Sabian but if they sound ok... I guess will just have to go test some out
I tried out every 8" splash they had on the tree in the store I bought from and tried an AAX and A custom back to back and settled with the AAX. To me the AAX just sounded crisper and more lively...the A custom sounded like, well, like it wanted to be the AAX...no offense to A customs because I rock a set of their 13" hats that in my opinion can't be beat but for the splash, the AAX just seemed to sound a little better. It also depends what you want it to sound like in the context of the rest of your cymbals. If you can, bring your other cymbals into the shop you are going to buy your cymbals at and ask if you can try the splash out with them...best way to make a judgement imo.