8 or 10-lug for indie pop/rock, fusion?

Drum Guy

trying to decide between 2 solid maple craviottos...you can help me - one is 10 lug 6.5x14, the other 7x14 8-lug...never heard or played a craviotto in person, and not sure if the lug difference is major? Rock/fusion/pop - which might be best do you think?

Generally, I prefer ten-lug snares. I like a tight, focused sound and have found it easier to achieve with a ten-lug arrangement. There's nothing wrong with eight-lug snares, however. Some drummers feel that 10-lug snares have a choked quality and prefer an eight-lug system for that reason. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Last edited:
thanks - would the cravi 7x14 8-lug be able to be cranked to sound like a 6x14 or 6.5x14? Any advantage to getting the 7x14 outside of just being .5 inch deeper? Can you notice a sound diff really?

thanks - would the cravi 7x14 8-lug be able to be cranked to sound like a 6x14 or 6.5x14? Any advantage to getting the 7x14 outside of just being .5 inch deeper? Can you notice a sound diff really?

I doubt you'd detect a striking difference in only half an inch. Your tuning and head selection should be taken into account too.

Ten lugs for me, unless it's a 13"
My 8x14 Gretsch Swamp Dawg has 8 lugs. So far, I've experienced no uneven tuning issue; even with a very tight Remo Ambassador Snare Side.

Don’t you think you’d want to try a Craviotto before deciding to buy one? You might hate it regardless of the lug count.

Or can you buy and return it if you don’t like it?

Go with the 6.5" depth. Any snare that is deeper than 6.5" is not as versatile, IMHO. I would definitely go with the 10 lug 14x6.5" Craviotto.

I prefer 10 lug snares for a tighter more controlled sound, like @C.M. Jones said. But you can still get a nice tight sound out of an 8-lug drum. The difference between an 8 lug and 10 lug drum is subtle.

yeah i’m about to buy the 8 lug 7x14 cause it’s available now, but i can send it back minus shipping if i don’t like it

my instinct is to buy the 6.5x14 10 lug but i’d have to wait 6 months for it ...

and lol 6 lugs ? no danks

I have both 10 lug and 8 lug Tama snares. As stated above the 10 lug seems much drier (it also has a heavier hoop). I find myself playing the 8 lug 80% of the time since it is more versatile and has a nice open sound, especially for live situations.

I have a 10 lug 6.5x14 maple Craviotto. I can't say enough about this drum. It's very sensitive, has a great tuning range, and no harsh overtones. It also produces an amazing rim click. It's the best workhorse snare I've owned.

I just discovered 8 lug snares a few years ago. I like them. All my wood snares are 10 lug, which is what I play 99% of the time. I'm too late for an 8 lug Guru snare.

Back