8 or 10-lug for indie pop/rock, fusion?

Drum Guy

trying to decide between 2 solid maple craviottos...you can help me - one is 10 lug 6.5x14, the other 7x14 8-lug...never heard or played a craviotto in person, and not sure if the lug difference is major? Rock/fusion/pop - which might be best do you think?

drumnut87

the only difference between 8 lug and ten lug mainly is 10 lug you get finer tuning, but with a craviotto you cant go wrong with either of those snares, both are works of art!! :)

C.M. Jones

Generally, I prefer ten-lug snares. I like a tight, focused sound and have found it easier to achieve with a ten-lug arrangement. There's nothing wrong with eight-lug snares, however. Some drummers feel that 10-lug snares have a choked quality and prefer an eight-lug system for that reason. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Drum Guy

thanks - would the cravi 7x14 8-lug be able to be cranked to sound like a 6x14 or 6.5x14? Any advantage to getting the 7x14 outside of just being .5 inch deeper? Can you notice a sound diff really?

C.M. Jones

thanks - would the cravi 7x14 8-lug be able to be cranked to sound like a 6x14 or 6.5x14? Any advantage to getting the 7x14 outside of just being .5 inch deeper? Can you notice a sound diff really?

I doubt you'd detect a striking difference in only half an inch. Your tuning and head selection should be taken into account too.

D

Deleted member 525878

Ten lugs for me, unless it's a 13"
My 8x14 Gretsch Swamp Dawg has 8 lugs. So far, I've experienced no uneven tuning issue; even with a very tight Remo Ambassador Snare Side.

IBitePrettyHard

Go with the 6.5" depth. Any snare that is deeper than 6.5" is not as versatile, IMHO. I would definitely go with the 10 lug 14x6.5" Craviotto.

I prefer 10 lug snares for a tighter more controlled sound, like @C.M. Jones said. But you can still get a nice tight sound out of an 8-lug drum. The difference between an 8 lug and 10 lug drum is subtle.

Drum Guy

yeah i’m about to buy the 8 lug 7x14 cause it’s available now, but i can send it back minus shipping if i don’t like it

my instinct is to buy the 6.5x14 10 lug but i’d have to wait 6 months for it ...

and lol 6 lugs 🤓 no danks

I have both 10 lug and 8 lug Tama snares. As stated above the 10 lug seems much drier (it also has a heavier hoop). I find myself playing the 8 lug 80% of the time since it is more versatile and has a nice open sound, especially for live situations.

charliedrummer

I have a 10 lug 6.5x14 maple Craviotto. I can't say enough about this drum. It's very sensitive, has a great tuning range, and no harsh overtones. It also produces an amazing rim click. It's the best workhorse snare I've owned.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I just discovered 8 lug snares a few years ago. I like them. All my wood snares are 10 lug, which is what I play 99% of the time. I'm too late for an 8 lug Guru snare.