70s/ 80s electronic drum sounds

80snostalgia

Hi there!

I'm interested in electronic drums, and very new to this area of music instrument.
I like particularly the noises in Ultravox - Vienna

The thunder noise at 0.10

Disco drum at 0.14

I'm really interested to know if these particular sounds can be found on any available updated electronic drum kit, desk top drum kit or drum machines.

I think if you want those sounds, go find a used Roland TD-10 Vdrum module. You can tweak a lot of those sounds to sound like those old 80s sounds. Or even an old Roland R8 MkII would have them. I like the older stuff especially with the R8 because that machine gave you separate outputs for each sound for further manipulation in the mixing console. If you find an old R8, all you have to do is replace the internal battery that saves its’ memory and then you’ll be good with it for another 20 years ?

A lot of the most common/popular 70's/80's E-drum sounds were Simmons and Roland. The Roland 808 is king. Before the 808, is the CR-78. And like Bo said, the Roland R8.

Look into the Roland SPD-X (discontinued) or SPD-SX (current) ..... it's a sample pad. Your options are pretty much limitless. Sample whatever you need ..... and it's in your file. I got pulled to the "dark side" about 20 years ago.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 8
  • paiste 2.jpg
    paiste 2.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 8
A lot of the most common/popular 70's/80's E-drum sounds were Simmons and Roland. The Roland 808 is king. Before the 808, is the CR-78. And like Bo said, the Roland R8.

Look into the Roland SPD-X (discontinued) or SPD-SX (current) ..... it's a sample pad. Your options are pretty much limitless. Sample whatever you need ..... and it's in your file. I got pulled to the "dark side" about 20 years ago.

I've been looking at the Roland SPD-SX and Octopad. Really nice.
As I'm new to this I'd have to record the sounds from somewhere or I'd have to find the actual names of the sound on Internet which could vary I don't even have a clue of their proper drum sound names. Looks a good pad though!

I've been looking at the Roland SPD-SX and Octopad. Really nice.
As I'm new to this I'd have to record the sounds from somewhere or I'd have to find the actual names of the sound on Internet which could vary I don't even have a clue of their proper drum sound names. Looks a good pad though!
Maybe start here. https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201919839-SPD-SX-Factory-Sound-List

These are the factory sound files in the Roland SPD-SX. Many are found in the SPD-X. And, as you may note, many are labeled 808 and 909. Those are the two Roland machines that they originated from. Octopad also has a lot of those sounds.

Does anyone remember the late 80's/Early 90's where pop writers/artists finally started to figure out how to integrate electronic drum sounds into acoustic music? I thought there was going to be a creative revolution and wellspring of solo artists.

Most of you will remember...

The entire March album was like this. Song after Song. Good stuff from a writing perspective.

Last edited:
Maybe start here. https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201919839-SPD-SX-Factory-Sound-List

These are the factory sound files in the Roland SPD-SX. Many are found in the SPD-X. And, as you may note, many are labeled 808 and 909. Those are the two Roland machines that they originated from. Octopad also has a lot of those sounds.

Thanks for that, I also found this Web page of drum sounds too.....

It's not even close to what I'm into I like real drums I could go on and on and rant. But!! I had a cheap set of alesis nitro mesh kit and was AMAZED what that thing can do. Electronic drums sound great! They might not be everyones cup of tea but I like them. Cool thread!! Appreciate you all.

It's not even close to what I'm into I like real drums I could go on and on and rant. But!! I had a cheap set of alesis nitro mesh kit and was AMAZED what that thing can do. Electronic drums sound great! They might not be everyones cup of tea but I like them. Cool thread!! Appreciate you all.

Thank you, much appreciate your friendly feedback. I'm just gonna check the Alesis kit on YouTube. I also appreciate real drummers out there. Example, I absolutely love The Brazilian by Genesis.

I'm thinking of using my Roland SPD-X for the intro to Michael Jackson's "Beat It", but alas it's stuck in storage in Alabama. Before pulling down the door over Thanksgiving, and shutting the lock, I had this bad feeling I was going to need that thing. Got it in 2006 and put it into a Gatorcase and never saw it again LOL.

Quite good if you wanna do 70s Disco and abit of East Enders!
I've got a set of those. 6 channels of analog synth. The brain is a total boat anchor, though. You can get a really cool tabla kinda sounding kit out of it, which are probably my favorite settings.

Attachments

• techstar a.jpg
    techstar a.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 5
  • techstar b.JPG
    techstar b.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 6
  • techstar c.JPG
    techstar c.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 6
I used a Kawai xd-5 drum module back in the late 80s early 90s. From what I remember, it had some Roland, Yamaha and Simmons sounds, as well as various waveforms and editing capabilities. Stereo outs, along with six assignable outs. I triggered it with Dauz pads and an Aphex Impulse. Very reliable, flexible setup.

Great thread! Plenty of good info…
I am surprised that there are so few commercial web sites out there, that offer to sell downloadable sound files for drum modules. Especially in kit form, so that you could download an entire kit in one bundle. I’d love to have a Def Leppard drum pack or a Frankie Banali pack, not to mention a Prog Rock pack too. Fun stuff!

Thank you, much appreciate your friendly feedback. I'm just gonna check the Alesis kit on YouTube. I also appreciate real drummers out there. Example, I absolutely love The Brazilian by Genesis.

I love how Phil essentially built his entire drum part around how easy it was to get those doubles off of the table top hard Simmonds pads of the era.

Back