60's Ludwig bass drum holes??

piperdoog

Silver Member
Hey gang any advice on how to patch up the holes on a 60's ludwig bass drum. It's the holes where the rail mount used to be, the guy took it off and out a 70's tom holder in back in the day... It's a shame but it's a players kit besides that in awesome condition. So can I just put those rounded off bolts into it or is there another option.
Thanks.

What the pros do first is use glue dowel rod plugs in the holes.They then use a small circular cutter which is the same diameter as the dowels,and cut a few circular patches from another piece of matching wrap.If matching the color is not possible,then they would remove a lug,and make their patches using the wrap under a lug.You just have to carefully cut your circular plug,no deeper that the wrap,and us an exacto knife to dig out the plug.

Other than that ,just use 4 carrage bolts to plug the holes,just round off the top of the bolt under the bolt head which is square.

Steve B

Home Depot sells press fit plugs in a few sizes either chrome metal, or black, white, and brown plastic. I used chrome ones on a Slingerland BDP restoration. I use a little dab of silicone to make sure the plug didn't fall out. I looks way better than the larger chrome head on a carrige bolt.

Attachments

• DSC04317A.jpg
    DSC04317A.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 496
Home Depot sells press fit plugs in a few sizes either chrome metal, or black, white, and brown plastic. I used chrome ones on a Slingerland BDP restoration. I use a little dab of silicone to make sure the plug didn't fall out. I looks way better than the larger chrome head on a carrige bolt.

Cool where in Home Depot?
Dont want to be looking all over and can't seem to find out about the product online!
Thanks alot...
Sorry I'm sure I can figure it out!
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated

Last edited:
Cool where in home dePot?
Dont want to be looking all over and can't seem to find out about them online!
Thanks alot...
Sorry I'm sure I can figur it out!
Thanks for the depots guys, much appreciated

What?????? I just googled Home Depot and got 24 hits on the first page.How can you not find it?They are in all 50 states,and have180 locations in Canada and you can purchase online.

Steve B

What?????? I just googled Home Depot and got 24 hits on the first page.How can you not find it?They are in all 50 states,and have180 locations in Canada and you can purchase online.

Steve B

Ok easy easy!!!
I wasn't talking about Home Depot's, yeah they are abundant, I'm talking more the product. Press Plugs.
I said I'd get it, thanks for that though Steve!

Last edited:

Hello, went in there today looking for the same ones you have there, and everyone seemed to be baffled by my question. they showed me some plastic plugs in electrical that were big. Guess I can always go the carrage bolt way, but I really like your idea.
Any chance on pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks for your time here

Hello, went in there today looking for the same ones you have there, and everyone seemed to be baffled by my question. they showed me some plastic plugs in electrical that were big. Guess I can always go the carrage bolt way, but I really like your idea.
Any chance on pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks for your time here

They are located in the aisle with all the screws, bolts, etc. There are various drawers with hardware items, you will find them there.

Back