602 hats ringing?

Trapland

Hi folks.
‘Quick intro:It’s my first post here or anywhere drum related. 40 years playing guitar, and playing around with drums, just 6 months seriously playing drums. I just sold my early Vistalite set and ordered a Japanese Tama set of bubinga shells.
I’m pretty excited. To celebrate the new drums coming I bought a set of new Formula 602s. I think they aren’t too loud and sound great except one thing.......

My new 14” sound edge 602 classic hihats have a weird bell like chime after every hit. It doesn’t matter if they are closed loosely, clamped down hard or after a chick. There is this high chime like tone after the cymbals stop that carries on for a full 1-2 seconds. It’s not my stand, it does it on another. It’s not altogether unpleasant but its a very distinct note and sometimes it’s wrong for the music.

Is this typical for these hats? Should I consider a warranty claim? Nice to meet you all.

DrumDoug

It’s not those particular hats. For some reason some hi hats do this and some don’t. I and a friend of mine both have a set of Zildjian 14” Ks. Mine don’t have a ring but his have a significant one. When the band started rehearsing at his house, at first I thought it was feedback in the PA. I recently borrowed a pair of 13” Sabian Vault hats. The ring in those is so loud I consider them unplayable. On the other hand out of the 11 pair of hihats I own, only one pair, a set of Zildjian Quick Beats have a slight ring. I don’t know what causes this or how to fix it. If you can, I would go to the store where you bought them and try to find another pair without the ring and if the store will let you, swap them out.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I had a pair of Paiste Signature SE hats that had that ring. I figured it was due to the rippled Sound Edge not having a lot of contact area with the top cymbal. They were not at all what I was looking for so the were sold almost immediately.

brentcn

Platinum Member
I had a pair of Paiste Signature SE hats that had that ring. I figured it was due to the rippled Sound Edge not having a lot of contact area with the top cymbal. They were not at all what I was looking for so the were sold almost immediately.
Yep, had the same ring when I tried a pair of Sound Edge hi hats. It’s not really a concern when playing live, but when recording it could become an issue.

Trapland

Thanks everyone. Maybe I’ll try a bit of tape under the ripples and see if that reduces it. I don’t mind when playing live although that’s when I first noticed it. But for recording, the main reason I chose 602s, I can’t have it.

DrumDoug

I don’t think it’s the SE ripples that cause the ringing. I have a pair of Mastersounds that have ripples and they don’t ring.

Trapland

I wonder if the SE ripples allow the ringing to escape after the rest of the cymbal stops sizzling. If it was flat it would probably trap most of the ringing and dampen it sooner.

Anyway I think I’ve found a fix. Tried tape and nothing until there was way too much. Tried a moon gel and it killed the tone but the ringing was still there.
But I have some 2” very stiff and thin cymbal felts, just added one to the underside of the clutch and it took 80% of the ringing away while having little effect on the overall tone.

Soulfinger

My 602 SE don´t do that but I´ve had a similar issue with a pair of 2002s. In general, I found that SE hi hats tend to ring if the bottom cymbal is tilted too much (less contact between the cymbals, I guess). Also be sure to use a clutch that isn´t threaded where it touches the top cymbal. Metal to metal contact can bring out unwanted frequencies.