600+ for this snare?

braincramp

Gold Member
I was floored when I saw this snare go for over $600 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180723246533?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have the exact same snare but its 6.5" instead of 5" it has the TDR strainer, 10 lugs, 3 vents, same type of lugs, hoops and muffler..has the 3 rings.. Its not in "mint" condition like this one.. but I got it for $100 and been using it as a back-up... I always thought about making it my main snare due to its sound which is awesome even with old bad heads.. will now change heads and make it my main snare for sure... Does anyone have more info on this snare? all I can find is its referred to as the Buddy Rich slingerland snare, COB and the SN and badge date it as mid 70's..any info would be appreicated!!!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know anything about this specific drum, but I did have a steel Slingerland snare of the same vintage, bought new. It sounded so much better (to my ears, at least) than the Ludwig's around at the time. $600 seems like a fair price to me, as this drum is in museum condition, & that must be rare. Looks like it's never been played. Certainly worth giving yours some TLC.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
That's not outrageous. It's basically in mint condition, and it's Brass.
Looks like a cool drum. If you dig the sound of yours, why not make it your main snare?

I see what you mean about the price though.

Ludwig 402's have gone for well over $700 in clean condition--which I think is crazy.
You can get the same drum today for $400 brand new. It just doesn't have the "prestige" of a 70's, whatever that means. IF there was any difference, it'd be very hard to tell, and if you muffled the drum at all, throw everything out the window.

Slingerland's Aluminum snare probably sounded close to Ludwig's, but a Steel snare will sound a lot different.
Brass would sound even better.

It's amazing how good a snare that doesn't get all the "props" some others get will sound.
Unless someone was a Slingerland fan, it's doubtful that anyone under 45-50 would even have heard of a Slingerland Artist model if it wasn't for Neil Peart (and it being his #1 for all those years). That's a great sounding snare, but no one ever talked about it.

I'm a Ludwig player, but I'm not real big on either the 400 or 402 when I play them.
I prefer the Brass and Bronze shells much more.
The 400 and 402 sound cool when I hear them, but playing them, they don't do anything for me really.

I had a girlfriend that was drummer, and she had the 6.5 snare (probably the same one you have) and it was a fantastic sounding snare. Strainer looked the same as the pic.
Great drum.

joshthedrumkid97

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180723246533?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have the exact same snare but its 6.5" instead of 5" it has the TDR strainer, 10 lugs, 3 vents, same type of lugs, hoops and muffler..has the 3 rings.. Its not in "mint" condition like this one.. but I got it for $100 and been using it as a back-up... I always thought about making it my main snare due to its sound which is awesome even with old bad heads.. will now change heads and make it my main snare for sure... Does anyone have more info on this snare? all I can find is its referred to as the Buddy Rich slingerland snare, COB and the SN and badge date it as mid 70's..any info would be appreicated!!!
I know this isn't relevant, but what snare were you using as your main snare?

uniongoon

Gold Member
Since brass does not mature soundwise over time the way wood does, I fail to see the lure of buying an old brass over a new one. Brass is much more pricey than bronze though.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Since brass does not mature soundwise over time the way wood does, I fail to see the lure of buying an old brass over a new one. Brass is much more pricey than bronze though.
I've often wondered about this. So what you're saying is...old metal, new metal makes no difference as far as aging is concerned. So a brand new BB should sound like a BB from the 70's? I would think so. Metal doesn't have moisture to lose, it doesn't have an original shape it is trying to return to... I would think that there are no internal stresses on the shell as it was melted and reformed, and should sound the same indefinitely.

Any detractors?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Aside from the finish/patina/corrosion, would it be fair to say that a metal drum doesn't change sonically over time? I am thinking any corrosion or patina wouldn't affect the sound.

braincramp

Gold Member
Th why are old Supra's and BB'sso desired over the newer ones? did they change the formula or something..?
Josh: I'm using a brass Ddrum Carmen Appice snare 6.5mm thick 14 x 5 (its a beast!!)

tamadrm

Platinum Member

In answer to your question...your drum is probably the Buddy Rich model which was available in COB 5 or 6 1/2 x 14 or 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 x 14 5 ply wood shell.It was available as the Buddy Rich model till 79 when Buddy went back to Ludwig,so Slingerland then called it the TDR and offered it in the same sizes.

I have a Slingerland Spitfire,which is almost the same drum except mine is 5" deep,and has 12 lugs,not ten and the shell is lacquered brass,althought most collectors say it actually bronze.So its a possibility your drum is bronze,not brass...either way..they are great sounding drums.,and the TDR strainer is as most say the best Slingerland ever made.

To unigoon...actually bronze costs more these days than brass and some makes and models of drums did change over the years.Some shells got thicker,some thinner,some changed material.Snare beds got deeper,some shalower,hardware changed...so its not cut and dried .Newer is actually in most cases not better.

Take a look at the Tama Superstar Bell Brass 6 1/2x14,5mm shell.This drum is legendary for its unique sound and some have sold for 7500 US .You just can't buy drums like that anymore.Its a combination of several things,that most new drums just don't have,and it all contributes to sound,that you can't get with most new drums.

Another example would be the Black Beauty,which changed in mid production from a brass shell to a slightly thicker bronze shell in the 80's and are highly reguarded for their sound and collectability.(Ask Karl Crafton how he likes his)

Steve B

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I wonder of this is the same model Buddy refused to play in favor of a Fibes?:)
The snare Buddy was getting tired of playing instead of his Fibes was the Slingerland Buddy Rich "Pearl" number 177.It had a 4x14 wood 3 ply shell,16 tom lugs(8 up,8 down)and stick chopper double flange,not tripple flange hoops.I thought the drum sounded great,and I didn't care for the Fibes snare which I thought sounded thin and pitchy.

Steve B

Last edited:

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I friggin LOVE my Bronze BB!

:)

Yeah, I see no real reason to pay high dollars for a 402. It still has that same sound character as it did back in the 70's so what's the big deal? A Badge style? Big woop.
You can order one with a B/O badge now.
'Cause it say's "Bonham" in the seller description? So what? It's not going to make anyone sound like John Bonham.
I just don't get it. It's great sounding drum, that works in most situations so it's a good one to have. But not for 300 bucks more than a new one costs.

Now, if the old 400 or 402's had a second roll over for a crimped and welded edge, THEN I'd say, it's a cooler drum and worth 7 or 800 bucks in great condition.

I have a 1964 400, and taken apart, the shell itself has a real nice, clear tone to it.
Put together, it sounds just like a newer 400, so I don't know what all the hub-bubb is all about with these "old ones".

I just think it's funny that in 1989 when I started really using and buying Ludwig stuff, no one gave a crap.
Back in the 80's they couldn't give the things away. You could get one of those for 75 bucks or less.

My Brass and the Bronze snares kick major ass, but back even 8 years ago, no one was even talking about Black Beauties.

MikeM

Platinum Member
...but back even 8 years ago, no one was even talking about Black Beauties.
First I ever heard of them was reading a MD interview with Thommy Price back in '86 or so talking about recording Billy Idol's Rebel Yell and the producer put a Black Beauty in front of him and he was blown away. I wonder if it was bronze...

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I just saw a COB Buddy Rich/TDR model snare (like in the first post) at the shop yesterday!

It was in great shape other than a small scratch, that was (if I remember correctly) on the panel to the left of the badge.
That faces the tom anyway, but...

It was waaaaay less than $636.89!!

Can't remember exactly how much, but if anyone wants, I can find out.

The shop ships drums all the time too.

Just keeping people in mind!!

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
First I ever heard of them was reading a MD interview with Thommy Price back in '86 or so talking about recording Billy Idol's Rebel Yell and the producer put a Black Beauty in front of him and he was blown away. I wonder if it was bronze...
It could be a Bronze. The snare on that record does sound similar to mine (an '89), and they were Bronze shells for a while.

When I try the Brass for recording, it sounds good, but the Bronze just sounds smoother.
All the power/crack/sensitivity etc... of Brass, but smoother in the overtones.

I find the Bronze shells overtones more "usable" and less... "obvious" to my ears, so I've always just end up with the Bronze, and it's always been ready in 30 seconds for the red light.
Haven't been disappointed yet!