6 lugs vrs 10 on snare

amba

saw a gorgeous 9x13 TRICK snare on ebay...but it is a 6 lug drum...when I noticed that...it looked 'lug challenged!' is a six lug snare an issue when it comes to tuning? Better...worse...doesn't matter?
Thank you !

amba

6 lugs would usually ring alarm bells. Simply not enough to ensure even tuning around the head, & also unlikely to attain higher tunings without straining something. That said. if the hoop is super strong (way more than even good cast hoops), & the lugs have very long thread depth, in theory, it could be good. On balance of probability, I'd say it's likely to be of poor quality. With the exception of speciality design, a low lug count is almost always a cost saving measure.

13" snares are usually 6 or 8 lug. 6 lugs will give you a bit more of a retro sound-more open and less crisp.

6 lugs would usually ring alarm bells. Simply not enough to ensure even tuning around the head, & also unlikely to attain higher tunings without straining something. That said. if the hoop is super strong (way more than even good cast hoops), & the lugs have very long thread depth, in theory, it could be good. On balance of probability, I'd say it's likely to be of poor quality. With the exception of speciality design, a low lug count is almost always a cost saving measure.

That's true for some, but not the absolute rule. Pearl Reference 13" snares are 6 lug. They are very high quality. They sell for $350-$700. I've never played any Trick drums, but Trick is a good quality name, as far as I know.

Now that we know that its an aluminum drum, I can tell you that the Trick aluminum drums are highly regarded. This looks really nice...

Did this begin it's life as a 13x9 tom that someone modified into a snare? most modern 13's are 8 lugs. anyway I love 13x9 snares. If it's not super expensive I wouldn't be too worried.

Did this begin it's life as a 13x9 tom that someone modified into a snare? most modern 13's are 8 lugs. anyway I love 13x9 snares. If it's not super expensive I wouldn't be too worried.

I was thinking the same thing...but as said trick makes a great drum...the throw alone is worth alot..

6 lugs kinda scares me too. BUT I realized its more common than you think. BHG is right, The Pearl Refernce Series 13" snares are 6 lugs, and the Yamaha Akira Jimbo snare a 13" with only 6 lugs... wood hoop too. The Dave Weckl sig snare is also a 13" with 6 lugs.

I'm currently converting a 13" tom into a snare, and I was going to go with 8 lugs, but I decided to go 6 so I could by some Yamaha wood hoops :)

I have played mostly 14" 60's 70's six luggers,they are more open sounding than 8 or 10 lugs with the same shell,very nice shuffle drums and work nicely for new orleans second line stuff,I always kept mine at mid to mid high tuning,and did not notice any tuning stability issues,but I nver tuned them down to fatback range.

6 lugs kinda scares me too. BUT I realized its more common than you think. BHG is right, The Pearl Refernce Series 13" snares are 6 lugs, and the Yamaha Akira Jimbo snare a 13" with only 6 lugs... wood hoop too. The Dave Weckl sig snare is also a 13" with 6 lugs.

I'm currently converting a 13" tom into a snare, and I was going to go with 8 lugs, but I decided to go 6 so I could by some Yamaha wood hoops :)

The Reference snare and the Weckl signature actually have 8 lugs. However, the Akira Jimbo does have only six.

I have a Ludwig Pioneer snare from the mid 60's 5 1/2x14 and a Slingerland Student model of the same size and both drums have 6 lugs.They both sound great tuned mediun to high with plenty of bottom and crack when necessary.They are sensitive enough for jazz , rock, or swing,but would not work in a orchestral setting.

Steve B

The Reference snare and the Weckl signature actually have 8 lugs. However, the Akira Jimbo does have only six.

The Reference 13" has 6 lugs - I own one......the two 14" Reference models have 10 lugs..

Thanks for bringing this up.....
Now that we know 6 lugs is ok.....I think we should all go bid on it...... :)

I've dealt with several 6-lug Slingerland and Ludwig drums from the 50s-60s. They have a very "open" sound that you can't really tune out of them. If you want a tight pop from a snare, you can't really get it without extensive treatment. For those of us who like to achieve the sound we want from a snare from tuning alone, they aren't very practical. But, if you like THAT sound, they're great!

Right now, I have a WFL and a Ludwig. I used to have a Slingerland, but I couldn't justify keeping it around when I got the Ludwig...

Thank you all very much...

For such considered replies...I'm very fortunate to have access to so many fine minds...!

NO...do not go bid on this...! I want this purdy thang...and too deep? Nah...I have an 8 that kills...

Again, thank you all...

I WANT IT

Back