6/8 .......4 / 4

i can count this song as 1 2 3 4 5 6.... as in 6/8

or 1 2 3 4...... as in 4/4

i can't understand the difference it makes as i can count it both ways

12/8..........4/4
4 beets per meshare

6/8.........2/4
2 beets per mashure

Counting in 6/8 would make it easier to count out and chart the drum fills. The ones that come in at 2:42 min. etc.
But it can be counted any way you like.

I count this as 12/8.

1-trip-let/2-trip-let/ 3-trip-let/ 4-trip-let. The same as slow blues.

The numbers are the quarter notes. Counting in 3/4, 6/8, 12/8 and 4/4 all work out mathematically. The song is triplet based, so I wouldn't use 4/4 to count it, because 4/4 is duple based meter. Even though it would work, I don't think it's the best way of counting it which is just my opinion.

Counting in 6/8 would make it easier to count out and chart the drum fills. The ones that come in at 2:42 min. etc.
But it can be counted any way you like.

but i am still confused about

what if i count it as

One-Trip-Let, Two-Trip-Let, Three-Trip-Let, Four-Trip-Let

in 4/4.....

then i'm counting triplets anyway in 4/4 time? so i would be able to chart the drum fills?

so what is the different between 6/8 in this case

I count this as 12/8.

1-trip-let/2-trip-let/ 3-trip-let/ 4-trip-let. The same as slow blues.

The numbers are the quarter notes. Counting in 3/4, 6/8, 12/8 and 4/4 all work out mathematically. The song is triplet based, so I wouldn't use 4/4 to count it, because 4/4 is duple based meter, even though it could work.

can't i count the 4/4 as One-Trip-Let, Two-Trip-Let, Three-Trip-Let, Four-Trip-Let, so it would work that way right?

so what is the different between 6/8 in this case
6/8 is two beats.
Four beats- Triplet feel- is 12/8.

There's No pulse difference;
only it's either Notated or Specifically states/written "triplet feel" or... "12/8"

when you're "in" 12/8 a 3/8 or 6/8 measure section can be folded right on in. So..

The Question should be "What is the difference between 12/8 in this case"

And it's been answered: "the Triplet Feel"

can't i count the 4/4 as One-Trip-Let, Two-Trip-Let, Three-Trip-Let, Four-Trip-Let, so it would work that way right?
Yes you can count it like that but it's not 4/4 anymore. The fact that you're counting triplets turns it into 12/8. You could just count quarter notes in 4/4...1,2,3,4..but there is still the triplet feel underpinning it all. I'd count the triplets in my head.

6/8 is not 2/4 its 3/4 right?
No.
3/4 with a Triplet feel is 9/8
2/4 with a Triplet feel is 6/8
4/4 with a Triplet feel is 12/8
5/4 with a Triplet feel is 15/8 ..and a monkeys Uncle : D

Yes you can count it like that but it's not 4/4 anymore. The fact that you're counting triplets turns it into 12/8. You could just count quarter notes in 4/4...1,2,3,4..but there is still the triplet feel underpinning it all. I'd count the triplets in my head.

but who says that counting triplets in 4/4 turns it into 12/8 ?.....i think it remains 4/4

The defining characteristic of any compound time is that Your quavers (8th notes to you lot over the pond) are grouped in threes. So four dotted crotchets (whole notes), adding up in the case of 12/8 into four groups of three quavers. Nothing more to it. It’s not the same thing as 4/4.

Calling it ‘triplets’ is a bit misleading as it’s not actually triplets, it’s dotted. But you can superimpose 4/4 that way if you want to count it that way. As long as you know it’s not actually 4/4.

but who says that counting triplets in 4/4 turns it into 12/8 ?.....i think it remains 4/4
Now, you're arguing Correctly....Congrats.
don't over-complicate it any further.
you'll be fine.

Now, you're arguing Correctly....Congrats.
don't over-complicate it any further.
you'll be fine.

yea i argued sorry about that :p

i don't know if you were serious or not but anyway yea i need to learn the difference too i will look more into it as you all said thanks!

Reactions: jda
6/8 2 beats
9/8 3 beats
12/8 4 beats

bear in mind (later on) All three 6/8 9/8 12/8 can be chopped up yet remain in their respective meter ----to give a feel change; but that's down the road for a later lesson

4 beats at 1 triplet (3 partials) per beat = 12 beats. 12/8

A measure of 4/4 is normally counted 1 and 2 and 3 and 4

One way to count a measure of 12/8 is: one-trip-let, 2-triplet, 3-trip-let, 4-trip-let. Big difference. The exact difference between duple and triple meter.

It's not 4/4 if the whole bar consists of triplets, it's 12/8.

Counting in 4/4 does work, but it's not technically 4/4, it's 12/8. You could also count it in 3/4, 2/4, and 6/8. Use what makes sense to you.

actually if follow the harmony; what the melodic instruments are playing and when they are making their changes; can tell you if; the section is 12/8 or 6/8 or even if a bar of 3/8 has been added;

Take note of the Harmonic Motion of the chordal and Melodic

Take "House Of The Rising Sun" by the Animals and listen where the harmony changes and melody's lie.

6/8 2 beats
9/8 3 beats
12/8 4 beats

bear in mind (later on) All three 6/8 9/8 12/8 can be chopped up yet remain in their respective meter ----to give a feel change; but that's down the road for a later lesson
6/8 is six beats. The ‘8’ refers to the eighth notes. Same for 9 and same for 12. It’s compound time in groupings of three notes.

6/8 is six beats.
Felt in 2. Was my POINT.
Got it.

He's feeling 4 in 12/8
So I was referring to the feel how it's felt perceived in pop music

Don't need to be told 6/8 is sixbeats lol

Back