6.5 or 8x14 Ludwig raw brass?

Drum Guy

I've got a 6.5x14 Yamaha RC aluminum so was considering getting the 8x14 Luddy raw brass (I don't have an 8" at all), but is the 6.5" raw brass a better, more useful buy than the 8x14? ie, for sound, tone and resale prospects?

music I play is cross between early U2, Eric Johnson and Stevie ray Vaughn with some funk thrown in

IBitePrettyHard

The thing about the Ludwig Raw brass snares is that they lack low end compared to the Super Brass or Supraphonic. They're incredibly sensitive and sound great, but it's like the low register is almost completely missing.

I'm sure some people love the Raw Brass sound though, it all comes down to your preference.

If I had to choose, it'd be the 8" because the extra depth does fill in some of the low end that was missing. This 14x8 sounds more like a 14x6, to me at least.

To contrast, this Ludwig Super Brass 14x6.5 has all the great qualities of the Raw Brass, but with that sweet low end added. This is just my opinion, maybe others would disagree?

Last edited:

justadrummer

I'm curious about the Ludwig raw brass 14" x 8" myself. Last January I tried out the 6.5" deep raw brass, and liked it. In September I got to play one again, along with a Ludwig raw copper. I ended up buying the raw copper version. (I liked both a lot though.)

1574413515460.png

Drum Guy

I tried out the Ludwig Raw Brass 8x14 for couple days - not enough distinction for ME, in my opinion, from my 6.5x14 Yamaha aluminum in terms of sound (except when 8x14 was tuned very low). SO, I returned it. Am now getting the Q Drum 5.5x14 brass snare.

Is the Luddy 8x14 raw brass a good drum? YES! It just didn't fit my needs at the moment after testing it.

Currently I have a great Q Drum 5.5x14 copper snare (for sale now since I'm getting their brass version), and may well consider Ludwig 8x14 raw copper or Q drum 14x7 copper.