505 and a 2002

jimb

As the title really. Just received a used 2002 18" crash and it sounds very similiar to my 505 18" crash...which is just a tiny bit brighter sounding....had no idea those 505's were so good...nice to know.

C.M. Jones

Comparing cymbals side by side can render surprising results. Conventional wisdom, often grounded in foolishness, professes that the higher a cymbal's price tag, the better it will sound. That isn't always true. Abandoning conditioned perspectives on gear can be quite liberating.

yammyfan

Comparing cymbals side by side can render surprising results. Conventional wisdom, often grounded in foolishness, professes that the higher a cymbal's price tag, the better it will sound. That isn't always true. Abandoning conditioned perspectives on gear can be quite liberating.
It isn't always true, but it's generally true, at least when cymbals are new. All bets are off when discussing used gear.

jimb

I dont know what to think...makes me wonder how much a 505 would be now if it was new. I had a PST7 and its way better than that model.

C.M. Jones

It isn't always true, but it's generally true, at least when cymbals are new. All bets are off when discussing used gear.
Following that logic, Zildjan Ks should sound better than As. That's true only if you like Ks more than As. I don't. My point is that taste is the ultimate measure of sound quality. Price is a spurious variable in that regard.

Last edited:

Frosticles

Silver Member
Had some 505 SE 14" Hi-Hats. Sounded lovely but cracked easily :( Also a 505 20" China. Still my favourite China cymbal. Also cracked easily :(

Griffin

I used to have a set of the 502s. I bought them cheaply when they were discontinued to make way for the PST5s. They were great sounding for the price tag.