50 years ago today

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
In case you haven't heard, or maybe you are tired of hearing, but today is:
Fifty years ago today. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was released.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 16.48.33.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 16.48.33.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 254
50 years ago today is a long time, but when SP came out and we all heard the lyrics "It was 20 years ago today, SP taught the band to play..."), it seemed like that 20 years ago was an ancient time.

Now, 50 years ago seems historic, but not quite "ancient".

It's all a matter of perspective- as time marches on, you view the passage of time differently.

It was 70 years ago today
Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play...

50 years ago today is a long time, but when SP came out and we all heard the lyrics "It was 20 years ago today, SP taught the band to play..."), it seemed like that 20 years ago was an ancient time.

Now, 50 years ago seems historic, but not quite "ancient".

It's all a matter of perspective- as time marches on, you view the passage of time differently.

Well said. In 1987 i was going out with a girl who was a huge Beatles fan and the U.K. Media was full of the "Twenty years ago today" link. If I'm not mistaken the Beatles Anthology documentaries were released around the same time too.
It is genuinely scary to me to think that we were celebrating the 20 year anniversary, thirty years ago! The time from 87 to now has just flown away.

I remember in 1992 when McCartney turned 50 they did a South Bank Show on the making of Sgt Pepper which was cool, I think it's on youtube.

The BBC also did a 40th anniversary remake of the album with modern bands using the old technology. They were found wanting big style.

The further technology advances makes you stand in awe of what they did on a 4 track.

My mom was in the fan club in the early 60s and had a lot of the original EPs. I use the word HAD. They'd be worth a fortune now! I've got a 1st press of Beatles for Sale, Hard Days Night, With The Beatles, Revolver

Looks like I'm putting the record player on later. The anniversary I'm waiting for is next year when the White Album hits 50. I have a mono 1st press with the poster and inserts. It comes out on special occasions :)

Was the release date the same in the US as the UK? I've never really looked into the US Beatles albums. You folks seem to appreciate them more than we do, same with Zep.

The BBC also did a 40th anniversary remake of the album with modern bands using the old technology. They were found wanting big style.

Some of the bands were found wanting, definitely. Mostly due to under-preparation and underestimating the difficulty of the songs. Not all of them, though.

On the other hand, Bryan Adams went in there and his band absolutely smashed it immediately. I'm no particular fan of his but the professionalism showed. Pretty much done in three or four takes. Brilliant to watch and a real lesson to the others, I thought. I'm going to use that clip at some point, I'm sure.

I like Sgt. Peppers but I don't think it's even the best psychedelic album of the year. I think that title belongs to 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' by the Pink Floyd. That is a breathtaking album. I could never get into Sgt Peppers in quite the same way, although it has some brilliant moments.

Some of the bands were found wanting, definitely. Mostly due to under-preparation and underestimating the difficulty of the songs. Not all of them, though.

On the other hand, Bryan Adams went in there and his band absolutely smashed it immediately. I'm no particular fan of his but the professionalism showed. Pretty much done in three or four takes. Brilliant to watch and a real lesson to the others, I thought. I'm going to use that clip at some point, I'm sure.

I like Sgt. Peppers but I don't think it's even the best psychedelic album of the year. I think that title belongs to 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' by the Pink Floyd. That is a breathtaking album. I could never get into Sgt Peppers in quite the same way, although it has some brilliant moments.

I'll give you Bryan Adams, forgot that was a one taker and Travis did a decent job but the rest of them couldn't play live never mind do the song.

My favourite bit was when some awful band did with a little help and the engineers came up to the bassist and said 'you have heard the song haven't you?' That sounded suspiciously autotuned as did the Kaiser Cheifs but the less said about them the better.

Never really classed Sgt Pepper as a psychedelic album, it has its moments but Floyd are a different genre really. I put Sgt Pepper as a progressive album, more so with Abbey Road

So you were trying to get a dig in on the old man and you just got lucky. Concentrate grasshopper.

I remember in 1992 when McCartney turned 50 they did a South Bank Show on the making of Sgt Pepper which was cool, I think it's on youtube.

The further technology advances makes you stand in awe of what they did on a 4 track.

My mom was in the fan club in the early 60s and had a lot of the original EPs. I use the word HAD. They'd be worth a fortune now! I've got a 1st press of Beatles for Sale, Hard Days Night, With The Beatles, Revolver

Looks like I'm putting the record player on later. The anniversary I'm waiting for is next year when the White Album hits 50. I have a mono 1st press with the poster and inserts. It comes out on special occasions :)

Was the release date the same in the US as the UK? I've never really looked into the US Beatles albums. You folks seem to appreciate them more than we do, same with Zep.

Don't miss Sgt Peppers Musical Revolution (3rd June on BBC and PBS in USA and Canada) written and presented by Howard Goodall

Don't miss Sgt Peppers Musical Revolution (3rd June on BBC and PBS in USA and Canada) written and presented by Howard Goodall

I'll have to catch it online, out playing tomorrow night. It'll be on iplayer.

My sister in law lives in Liverpool, they went to a 50th anniversary show the other night.

Can't think of any albums around at the moment that we'll remember in 10 years time never mind 50.

I'll give you Bryan Adams, forgot that was a one taker and Travis did a decent job but the rest of them couldn't play live never mind do the song.

My favourite bit was when some awful band did with a little help and the engineers came up to the bassist and said 'you have heard the song haven't you?' That sounded suspiciously autotuned as did the Kaiser Cheifs but the less said about them the better.

Never really classed Sgt Pepper as a psychedelic album, it has its moments but Floyd are a different genre really. I put Sgt Pepper as a progressive album, more so with Abbey Road

I find Abbey Road really hard work. Bit odd given my awkward taste but there you go.

I seem to remember it was Razorlight that tried to do 'With a Little Help from my Friends'. I mean, what happened to them, anyway? They were in the public eye briefly...

Travis weren't bad. Not a fan but they were professional. The Magic Numbers were just singing the harmonies for She's Leaving Home (well, admittedly) and The Stereophonics got the wrong message and thought they were doing the opening for Sgt Peppers rather than the reprise.

You're right though, most of them couldn't cut it. Then we have to remember it took The Beatles a very long time to record it and often 20-30+ takes at times. We do have it much easier in modern studios and you can do a lot more but I would also argue that with modern material, most bands are generally more 'accurate' than bands of the past - it's just a different mindset.

I thought the BBC recreation of 'Please Please Me' was much more representative and I think the BBC had learned the lessons of Sgt Peppers by then by making sure they were all prepared properly!

These 'recreations' are always a bit hackneyed and full of faux-praise nonsense but they're usually worth a watch...

You might well be right about the psychedelia. I'll have to think about that.

Back