5 way coordination workouts.

NickSchles

So over the last month I've been working on my 5 way coordination by playing elaborate foot ostinatos over paradiddle inversions and singing songs on top of that.

It's been tons of fun to work on, and when adding a gap click to the proceedings, the challenge is even harder. That said, the ultimate challenge is to chat rather than sing over these patterns. I'll get there though!

I'm basing all the foot patterns on Stick Control working the L foot on the hi hat pedal to begin with... I have, however, tried shifting the L foot between the hats and [slave] bass drum pedal as musically as I can, but that's work in progress.

Here are a couple of videos of some attempts at this.

HANDS: RLRL LRLR
FEET: LLRL RRRR
MOUTH: ENTER SANDMAN

HANDS: RLLR LRRL
FEET: RRLR LLLR LLRL RRRL
MOUTH: MACARENA

Have you tried this stuff before? How have you gotten on with it? I'll be trying to orchestrate the hands and feet over time whilst singing too! :p

myxtc

Love this, nice job. I may try some of this. Funny you post this. I tried learning EX's and Oh'sdrum beat the correct way this morning and found out I really need to work some 4 way coordination drills into my practice routine for sure. Love the idea of a 5 way using vocals too.

doggyd69b

Silver Member
The one I practiced and mastered long ago:
4/4 tempo Right hand 2 hits on each beat ride cymbal but you can make it more complex by alternating with other cymbals.
Left hand one hit on 2 and 4 on the snare also toms can be added for increased complexity
Right foot 1 hit on 1 then 2 hits on 3 that one pretty much remains the same (it anchors the whole thing) but can still add variations
Left foot 1 hit (close hats) on each beat that one doesn't change.

I know this is only 4 way (we only have 4 limbs) but you can be talking/singing while doing this.