5 Of Our Favorite Rock Ride Cymbals - Video Demo

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I wanted to like that Istanbul so much more, but the bell just seems wimpy in comparison to the Paiste or Zildjian.

K seemed the most well-rounded to me. It's too bad they didn't include the A Custom medium, it's unbelievably versatile and lends itself REALLY well to rock.

Thanks for the video!

-Jonathan

jdavis

The Paiste and Sabian in this test for me. Too bad there wasn't a Giant Beat or Sweet Ride in there.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I liked the K custom hybrid the best. Almost makes me want to sell my Omni and go buy that cymbal.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm not saying I do or don't like anything anymore because my tastes change all the time.

But I will listen to the videos all day long, thanks Shane.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I love the DCP comparison videos. There's no BS, just "here it is, decide for yourself what you think."

A while back on one of the vids—maybe the Ludwig factory tour?—I thought I saw a teaser for a Gretsch factory tour. Are there still plans to release that?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Me, too. Their videos are the best on the net. They put a lot of time and money into their marketing, and they have the good people to seal the deal. First class act.

GeeDeeEmm

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I really wanted to like the Paiste, but it just kind of felt cold to me. I wanted to like the Meinl also. I thought it sounded great, but didn't like how it started to wash out even though it wasn't being played that way. The Zildjian, Sabian, and Istanbul all win for me in this. If someone put a gun to my head and told me to pick, I'd have to close my eyes and just grab one.

Ant thoughts on doing the same test with nylon tipped sticks?

I really wanted to like the Paiste, but it just kind of felt cold to me. I wanted to like the Meinl also. I thought it sounded great, but didn't like how it started to wash out even though it wasn't being played that way. The Zildjian, Sabian, and Istanbul all win for me in this. If someone put a gun to my head and told me to pick, I'd have to close my eyes and just grab one.

Ant thoughts on doing the same test with nylon tipped sticks?
I felt the same way about the Paiste. I loved the bell sound, which traditionally, Paiste wasn't always known for. The body of the cymbal, for me, sounded a bit like a trash can lid, with one dimensional tone. Likewise, the Zildjian, Sabian, and Istanbul were winners for me. Full disclosure, I own a Zildjian 21" K Custom Hybrid ride. I liked the Meinl more than I had expected.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Thanks for watching, Larry.
You're thanking me. What a guy. You did all the work!. I do appreciate the kindness, thank you Shane. Your videos do rock and I get how much time and effort they must take. You do us ALL a great service and I do hope it translates into profitable sales that are well worth your time. Let's see, we have you, Steve Maxwell, Roy Burns...there's not many famous drum gear purveyors but you are certainly included at the top of the list. Many thanks and much respect Shane. I wish I lived closer!

All_The_Drums

I love the DCP comparison videos. There's no BS, just "here it is, decide for yourself what you think."

A while back on one of the vids—maybe the Ludwig factory tour?—I thought I saw a teaser for a Gretsch factory tour. Are there still plans to release that?
Thanks, man. We did the Gretsch tour, and about a day before we released the video someone else released an almost identical video.
We did make this from the tour footage for our Instagram...
" http://instagr.am/p/B08_iz6A38_/ "

Last edited:

All_The_Drums

Me, too. Their videos are the best on the net. They put a lot of time and money into their marketing, and they have the good people to seal the deal. First class act.

GeeDeeEmm
Thanks, GDM. It's nice to hear positive feedback. It's a lot of work, but it's pretty fun work.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I love these comparisons-the last hi hat one blew me away. I think I need to get my hearing aids tuned up cause them all seemed a bit quiet for rock cymbals?? It be fun to play all for awhile-that's the real test-with time. So create a "loaner set" so can play a bit and get to know them better LOL ;). I was kidding but I bet if people tried all five they'd find they can't live without at least two of them so would sell themselves. Cymbals are funny that way.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Whilst these comparisons are really very useful and unbiased I would urge any one in the rock ride market to try out the medium to heavy weighted and larger diameter offerings from the Italian brand UFIP. UFIP bells are just on another level from other manufacturers.

All_The_Drums

Whilst these comparisons are really very useful and unbiased I would urge any one in the rock ride market to try out the medium to heavy weighted and larger diameter offerings from the Italian brand UFIP. UFIP bells are just on another level from other manufacturers.
Can confirm. We've just had some trouble keeping them in stock lately.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Can confirm. We've just had some trouble keeping them in stock lately.
Great, to hear, the shootout videos are very useful, especially with the close and open mic comparisons. Unfortunately New Hampshire’s a long way from me. Did once go Whale watching from there about 15 yrs ago - great day out.