5.5' or 6.5' SNARE DRUM?

timotolas

Hi there guys!

I'm looking for a new Wood snare drum...but now I'm thinking what will be the best option a 14 x 6.5 or a 14 x 5.5 model....I don't want to buy something that has a similar sound to the actual snare that I own (Tama Rockstar Steel)....I already saw (and like a ton!) the new DW Performance Series (Maple) Snare Drum...but I'm not sure what deep I want...your suggestions are welcome!....

Here you can listen some samples:

6.5 deep
http://youtu.be/aNrE2Lb7jHk

5.5 deep
http://youtu.be/e7WqIdiO1-8

Cheers
- timity

dapperdan

well I have a dw set, with a collectors(6in) and performance(6.5in) snare. (the funny thing is i like the performance snare better :p ) and I think the 6.5 performance is quite a bit more versatile. the problem with the 5.5 performance snare is that it sounds like a aluminum snare when tuned medium or high, so if you like the sound of wood get the 6.5in, and if not? Get a metal snare.

Oh and also get some drum gum or moongel, it make it sound a lot better, and its only $6.50 most places.

Edit: if you want the exact difference in versatility with tuning
The 5.5in - ruff tuning range (from finger tight) 1/2 - 5 or 6 turns
The 6.5 in - ruff tuning range (from finger tight) 3/4 - 8 or 9 turns

But you just need to try them out for your self- it's just (as caddywumpus said) crisp and crack vs body and resonance

Good luck man - daniel

Last edited:

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
They both sound nice, but with the 6.5 you'd have a wider range of possible sounds IMO.

You can always put a bit of Moongel on a 6.5 to tighten the sound up like the 5.5, but you can't add body to a 5.5.

Just my 2 cents

Drumolator

Platinum Member
They both sound nice, but with the 6.5 you'd have a wider range of possible sounds IMO.

You can always put a bit of Moongel on a 6.5 to tighten the sound up like the 5.5, but you can't add body to a 5.5.

Just my 2 cents
I agree with what he said. ^ Peace and goodwill.

aaajn

Silver Member

Just my 2 cents
I have found this to be true....

I was playing with a guitar buddy of mine last night, and the 5.5 Snare was sitting to next to the 6.5 Ludwig BB. He asked what the difference was so I hit both, same dynamic and height. The 6.5 can be tuned much lower and still keep its bounce.

For what its worth.... It was pretty cool to have the two snares right next to each other. Both made of the same material.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I like a nice crisp snare with a lot of pop. I have always been partial to a 5.5.
I also use a 5 inch snare tuned kind of dirty for Jazz play.

Not much of a fan of the thicker snares.

Skulmoski

Gold Member
I have maple snares in both sizes:

1) 6.5*14 Ludwig Classic Maple with a mahogany finish, millenium throw-off, internal muffler and tube lugs (#LS403TX0m) with Puresound snares

2) 5.5*14 Gretsch USA Custom with Micro Sensitive Snare Strainer

Both are nice, very nice.

As others have wrote before, try them out side by side and pick with your ears. Additionally, buy the best you can afford since a top quality snare drum can last a lifetime. Indeed, save a for a few extra months and get something really special!

GJS

mikeo

i've never actually tried a 6.5 deep snare... but i was just playing my 5.5 1968 supraphonic at my church, which has a decent sized sanctuary... well i certainly wouldn't want anymore body... it sounded huge... but i guess if your situation demands that more is better.. then go for it... but i think a quality metal snare tuned properly will do pretty much anything you want

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
but i was just playing my 5.5 1968 supraphonic at my church, which has a decent sized sanctuary... well i certainly wouldn't want anymore body... it sounded huge.
I've had my '65 400 since I first took an interest in the instrument.

I used to think the same way...... 'I'll never need anything more than this' .......Right up until I played a 402. Sadly then, it was game over.

Haven't used the 400 in a long time now. I'll never part with it because it means too much to me, but personally I find that the 6.5 depth can more closely replicate the sound of a shallower drum by cranking it up....but I can't go the other way with a 5" shell. It'll just never sound deeper than it is.

For that reason I feel my 6.5 deep snares are far more versatile than my 5" models.

That said, I'll also echo the calls that is purely an individual choice....hit 'em both and let the drum tell you.

Bertram

Silver Member
I like them both a ton! If i should chose one, i think i'd chose the 6,5" (unless i really liked 5,5"...) because i think i can get the 6,5" to sound alot like the 5,5", but not otherwise.

om98

Found this thread from 8 years ago (!) thought i would pick up on it. Currently considering a Pearl Session 5pc kit. There are 2 options, the difference between the 2 is:
- one kit has a 22 x 16BD and a 14 x 6.5SD.
- The other has a 20 x 14BD and a 14 x 5.5SD

The toms are the same on both kits.

Has anyone on this forum played/owned either of these sizes Session kits? Interested to know how they compare, particularly with the smaller bass drum and smaller snare combined, compared to the bigger set.
Would assume the bigger set performs better in open areas/stages etc, the smaller set would be better for every day home playing?

Appreciate any advice thanks.
Ollie.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I played a 5x14 Supra for years before I tried a 6.5x14 Supra. And now I only play 6.5 snares - with the occasional 8" deep snare too. I just love the depth - it gives me more options. But the 5x14 size is on countless hit records too. Your solution: get both!

I personally would get the set with bigger sizes. Not only that I prefer 22 inch bass drums after having played a 20" for decades. 6.5 snare drums are my choice for most musical styles from jazz to rock. It has a richer tone to my taste, still being responsive enough for subtle playing. But that's just a general preference, I never owned or intensively played Pearl drums as to tell the differences between these particular snare drums.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I play a Pearl Masters MCX 14" x 5.5" and I absolutely love it. I want to get a 6.5" too, but if I don't ever get one, I'm really happy with the 5.5" depth. It's warm with a little bit of cut.