5/4 Dawson Exercise

haredrums

Silver Member
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share a cool exercise that I adapted from Alan Dawson's aptly named book, "The Drummers Complete Vocabulary". I had the idea of putting exercises from "Stick Control" into 5/4 from Todd Bishop floating around in my imagination and I decided to apply it to the awesome single stroke exercise from the Dawson book. Here is what I came up with:

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2012/05/single-stroke-exercise-in-54.html

I have been using this as a warm-up for a couple of weeks now and find it both challenging and rewarding. Check it out and let me know what you think!

I am enjoying this exercise; it's very elegant. I think I'll substitute it for the warmup I use now (although I may add a variation). Who says your exercises have to be in 4/4?

-John

I am enjoying this exercise; it's very elegant. I think I'll substitute it for the warmup I use now (although I may add a variation). Who says your exercises have to be in 4/4?

-John

Thanks man, I'm really glad you like it! I wanted a warmup that started gently acclimating me to odd groupings, and this seems to be the ticket.

I added two simple things to that exercise. (I don't have any software for writing drum scores, so hope this makes sense).

1st, the feet keep an ostinato pattern of 4 eighth notes and 6 eighth notes.

Key: O = open hi-hat (or heel), X = closed (or toe), B = Bass drum toe, (-) = 1/8th note rest

O - - - X - - - - -, left foot ostinato
B - - - B - - - - -, right foot ostinato

2nd, after playing all 12 lines, go back to the beginning. But instead of playing 4 and 6 eighth notes to a hand (in the two bars in the right column), play 16th note alternating singles, grouped 4-6. Repeat and then end on the down beat. That down beat is the 1st of 5 quarter note rests. Then go to the next line and do the same.

As in your scheme, the 16th note singles start with the hand opposite the last eighth note of the previous two bars.

So the top line across would be:

R_L_R_L_/ R_L_R_L_R_L_/ RLRL/ RLRLRL/ RLRL/ RLRLRL,R- -- -- -- --.

Hope this makes sense. If not, I'll make a quick video.

-John

Last edited:
The way it is written is broken down into 2+3. You could also practice it as 3+2. So the second column would look like RRRRRRLLLL instead of RRRRLLLLLL.

I like the alternating singles idea mentioned by JohnW. You could take a Stone Killer approach (kind of sort of) by filling in the second column with the correct sticking.
For example:

2+3 = RLRLRLR-LRLRLRLRLRL-

3+2 = RLRLRLRLRLR-LRLRLRL-

A simple foot ostinato would be:
B = Bass
X = Hi-hat

2+3 = B-X-B-X-X-

3+2 = B-X-X-B-X-

These are just simple ideas to practice once you got the core exercise down. I like exercises like these because they can be interpreted in endless ways. That's why I am a fan of Stick Control and Syncopation.

I added two simple things to that exercise. (I don't have any software for writing drum scores, so hope this makes sense).

1st, the feet keep an ostinato pattern of 4 eighth notes and 6 eighth notes.

Key: O = open hi-hat (or heel), X = closed (or toe), B = Bass drum toe, (-) = 1/8th note rest

O - - - X - - - - -, left foot ostinato
B - - - B - - - - -, right foot ostinato

2nd, after playing all 12 lines, go back to the beginning. But instead of playing 4 and 6 eighth notes to a hand (in the two bars in the right column), play 16th note alternating singles, grouped 4-6. Repeat and then end on the down beat. That down beat is the 1st of 5 quarter note rests. Then go to the next line and do the same.

As in your scheme, the 16th note singles start with the hand opposite the last eighth note of the previous two bars.

So the top line across would be:

R_L_R_L_/ R_L_R_L_R_L_/ RLRL/ RLRLRL/ RLRL/ RLRLRL,R- -- -- -- --.

Hope this makes sense. If not, I'll make a quick video.

-John

Great ideas guys!

I would love to see videos of these things.

This looks awesome. Andrew - would you be able to PM me a PDF file of this?

Looking forward to checking it out and adding the feet in as well.

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share a cool exercise that I adapted from Alan Dawson's aptly named book, "The Drummers Complete Vocabulary". I had the idea of putting exercises from "Stick Control" into 5/4 from Todd Bishop floating around in my imagination and I decided to apply it to the awesome single stroke exercise from the Dawson book. Here is what I came up with:

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2012/05/single-stroke-exercise-in-54.html

I have been using this as a warm-up for a couple of weeks now and find it both challenging and rewarding. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Now you're talking! I'm going to have fun with this tomorrow night when the wife's at work.

Thanks, Hare.

Hey, I am not actually sure how to attach pdf's to a message, help?

I would also add that it is surprisingly difficult (for me anyways) just to put the bass drum on beat 1, so don't neglect that option in the quest for variations (all of which are good).

I think you can get the PDF by clicking download at the bottom of the exercise. Or you could memorize it...

I practiced through the page last night. In tribute to Alan Dawson's methods, I even did them with brushes once I was done with the sticks.

Bass drum on 1 / 3
Hi Hat on 2 / 4 / 5

Click setting = Quarter note = 200 / page read as written - 8th notes

What a gas! Assuming I have time, I'm going to experiment more with these as well and see what other variations I can come up with. The next variation I will try though is just putting the bass drum on 1 as you suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I practiced through the page last night. In tribute to Alan Dawson's methods, I even did them with brushes once I was done with the sticks.

Bass drum on 1 / 3
Hi Hat on 2 / 4 / 5

Click setting = Quarter note = 200 / page read as written - 8th notes

What a gas! Assuming I have time, I'm going to experiment more with these as well and see what other variations I can come up with. The next variation I will try though is just putting the bass drum on 1 as you suggest.

Yeah, it is a cute little exercise! I will have to check out some of these alternate foot patterns and rhythmic organizations you guys are bringing up.

Thanks for being awesome all!

Great ideas guys!

I would love to see videos of these things.

My daughter has our camera; I'll record something as soon as I get it back, Andrew.

-John

Back