42 Strand Wires on a Super-Sensitive?

jodgey4

Silver Member
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, or if it's been asked before, and I'm really sorry if it has but I have a burning question. Is there any way to put Gibraltar or such 42 strand snares on a Super-Sensitive?
Here's a link that describes the SS system that I'm going to base my stuff off of. Btw my snare are a split (10 and 10) 20 strand unit, but that really makes no difference so disregard that.
http://snaredrumz.blogspot.com/2010/03/adjusting-ludwig-supersensitiive-snare.html
Now that you've read this (and please at least look at the labeled pictures on it so we are both talking about the same parts with the right names), do you think I could make my own that still is still held in by the wire end plate, but then clamps (didn't want to draw one so I used what was there out of laziness) onto the normal plastic loops (gray rectangles) going to a 42 strand unit?
I have a picture below of what I'm imagining. It would allow you to be able to attach any wires to the SS system, from 12 strand to 20 to 42. It shows the replacement one by Puresound, and below the one I'm thinking of with a Gibraltar 20 strand (a bit off center but you get the idea). Has anyone done anything like this? Also, the only way to make one (which I think I'll have to do) would to be to buy a replacement as shown on top and the 42 strand, then figure out something to clamp onto the straps. Is there something I could buy that would replace the end piece instead of cutting up a new entire unit? Thanks! If I get this working, I'll sell them and give the money to Drummerworld! Hahaha!
Also I got some new pictures of my kit on my profile page if you want to look!

Attachments

jodgey4

Silver Member
I don't have any snare beds, nor do I think the SS system needs one... So that shouldn't be and issue. While I to think snare beds in general are overlooked, either way very few snares would have big enough beds to fit a 42 strand, so in the case of the 42 on this its probably best not to have beds. Also in the Dunnett article it says something like 'snares that don't have vertical adjustment rely on snare beds...' so by the master snaresmith Dunnett I do not need snare beds.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
What are you hoping to gain by having that many wires? More wires actually will decrease the sensitivity and make the snare more dry.

mtarrani

What are you hoping to gain by having that many wires? More wires actually will decrease the sensitivity and make the snare more dry.
I agree. More does not equal better. I rarely go over 16-strand, and have found that 12-strand works very well with many snare drums. A Supersensitive's shallow beds are going to make 42-strand wires buzz like a beehive.

mtarrani

I don't have any snare beds, nor do I think the SS system needs one... So that shouldn't be and issue. While I to think snare beds in general are overlooked, either way very few snares would have big enough beds to fit a 42 strand, so in the case of the 42 on this its probably best not to have beds. Also in the Dunnett article it says something like 'snares that don't have vertical adjustment rely on snare beds...' so by the master snaresmith Dunnett I do not need snare beds.
The SS does, in fact, have beds. They are shallow, but are there. Unless you use a snare system like Rhythm Tech's Active Snares or a frame like on the Rogers Dynasonic the snares need a bed. The SS depends on one. Obviously you can do what you want, but I am predicting that you are not going to be pleased with the results. There are no aftermarket 42-strand snares for the SS for a good reason,.

jodgey4

Silver Member
As I've said, I have no snare beds, maybe older ones did, but mine is new , so perhaps the newer ones don't. Also, this was not a debate on whether or not more snare wires are better, everybody has their opinion and the wires are cheap enough I think it would be a good investment to find my own opinion. This was more of a proof of concept. It was the idea that I could set up a system that would let me get standard wires to use on the drum without buying Puresound's expensive SS replacement wires, or so that other people wouldn't have to, they would have an alternative. Also, I've been wondering, could someone describe or find a link of how the Dyna-sonic system works and how it is different from the Super-Sensitive system? Thanks for all of your input!

mtarrani

As I've said, I have no snare beds, maybe older ones did, but mine is new , so perhaps the newer ones don't. Also, this was not a debate on whether or not more snare wires are better, everybody has their opinion and the wires are cheap enough I think it would be a good investment to find my own opinion. This was more of a proof of concept. It was the idea that I could set up a system that would let me get standard wires to use on the drum without buying Puresound's expensive SS replacement wires, or so that other people wouldn't have to, they would have an alternative. Also, I've been wondering, could someone describe or find a link of how the Dyna-sonic system works and how it is different from the Super-Sensitive system? Thanks for all of your input!
(a) You do have snare beds. They are very shallow, but they are there. I have owned vintage and modern SS and know them pretty well.
(b) the link at the end of this post on Powertones covers the dynasonic specs and details: http://snaredrumz.blogspot.com/2010/01/rogers-powertone-chrome-over-brass-cob.html ... the dyna is totally different than the SS approach, and is one of the few snare mechanisms that allow you to NOT have a snare bed. Not so the SS.

jodgey4

Silver Member
Excuse my inability to grasp this, but what is different, other than the fact that nothing touches the head and then goes past the snare beds like the plastic straps or snares? And how shallow are you talking for the snare beds? Because I just went and looked at my snare side bearing edge, and did not notice any substantial sized bed. If it isn't deep enough for me to notice, is it deep enough to do anything? I really appreciate this guys!

Last edited: