40 rudiments all in 1 sheet

Auspicious

Hello I created a document tonight, I wanted to have all the rudiments fitting in a single 8.5" x 11" sheet. I am going to laminate mine with a plastic sleeve from the office..

I was a bit unhappy of carrying a book only to practice the rudiments, so I created this sheet, there is an extended version and a binder version.

So It's there, if it can be useful for others. Feel free to report any errors in the document.

I didn't asked permission to use the pictures, sorry about that and some drags and flams can be a bit difficult to read too, I'll correct them in the next revision.

This is the thumbnail

And the PDF (latest revision)

Last edited:

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Just be sure to pencil in the accents. If any teachers or students are using it, please remember that points will be taken off of students’ scores for excluding accents from rudiments in district band auditions, all-state auditions, etc.

See the PAS listing for reference.

To the OP, if you used Finale, click on the articulation tool to add accents.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Last edited:

Auspicious

Just be sure to pencil in the accents. If any teachers or students are using it, please remember that points will be taken off of students’ scores for excluding accents from rudiments in district band auditions, all-state auditions, etc.

See the PAS listing for reference.

To the OP, if you used Finale, click on the articulation tool to add accents.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Ok that's really important, I agree, and I am happy that you point out that fact for my own practice.

I used .gif images from the internet for the bars and it's funny that you talk about accents because I added one just this morning for the seven stroke roll.

I will add them all in the next day while correcting the very small text like "LL" "FF" as well as the drag and flam notes.

WARNING: Don't use the current revision, the accents are missing.

dwsabianguy

It's a pretty awesome amount of information on one page, but I just printed myself a copy and the teeny tiny Ls and Rs are pretty much illegible, especially the grace note markings.

Auspicious

It's a pretty awesome amount of information on one page, but I just printed myself a copy and the teeny tiny Ls and Rs are pretty much illegible, especially the grace note markings.
I am in the process of correcting them, I learned quite a bit by adding the accents manually too and forcing me to understand the various writing of the same thing. Boring but effective.

Actually I saw that page before I did my own, I'll use it to double check my work.

Auspicious

I tossed the sheet on my google drive this morning, to prevent spreading false information. A couple of rudiments on my sheets, I am not sure the writing will really match other version including the official one or if there was a mistake in the images I used.

I can't tell right now.

I don't want to propose a tool against an official tool either and being accused of spreading false information...

But overall I still have things to understand, for the sake of knowledge, I'll ask later.

Auspicious

When there isn’t enough room for an accent mark, I have seen a larger note circle used and for the non-accented notes, a slight smaller note circular is used. Then, the accent mark doesn’t need to be above the notes. Fat/bold/larger font notes mean accent and slightly smaller font notes mean non-accented.

That is one possibility to save space.
heheh all this turned out to be a reading type of reading exercise (:) thanks for the suggestion. But I already did it with the accent in the form of this ">" yesterday, we will see how it looks like soon.

I am finished with correcting everything. Still need to do one last check up.

Auspicious

I've got the revision 001 of my sheet with many modifications such as: Arranging the order or certain rudiments, adding their #, enhancing RR and LL, enhancing the drag and the flam notes, replacing Dragadiddles 1 and 2 by Drag Paradiddles 1 and 2, replacing the notation for the previous Dragadiddle #1, adding the accents.

This time I think it should be close 95%! unless some of the the notation is categorized as obsolete, this is possible. But in my opinion, the form of the notation is easy to read and to understand, the inventor did a great job (not me) all in 1 single sheet.

rhumbagirl

I'm not into the boxes around each rudiment. That looks like more (visual) noise than needed in my opinion. The sticking notation above the staff doesn't stick out enough for me, but after some thought, I think it's ok if the eventual goal is to automatically KNOW the sticking based on the rudiment notation, if that makes sense. Otherwise looks great! Thanks for sharing!!

Auspicious

I'm not into the boxes around each rudiment. That looks like more (visual) noise than needed in my opinion. The sticking notation above the staff doesn't stick out enough for me, but after some thought, I think it's ok if the eventual goal is to automatically KNOW the sticking based on the rudiment notation, if that makes sense. Otherwise looks great! Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks for the constructive criticism. ;)

I could scrap the boxes real fast, it's possible, I have to update it again to correct more R and L in the Flam section. I might try a box-less version 003 codenamed "Rhumbagirl"

But I like the notation above the staff.

In exchange for your message I give you this gift, a beautiful bossanova jazz song from the 70s
Flora Purim on the microphone, Joe Farrell on the flute, Chick Corea on the Piano, Stanley Clarke on the bass and Airto Moreira on the drums.

rhumbagirl

Thanks for the constructive criticism. ;)

I could scrap the boxes real fast, it's possible, I have to update it again to correct more R and L in the Flam section. I might try a box-less version 003 codenamed "Rhumbagirl"

But I like the notation above the staff.

In exchange for your message I give you this gift, a beautiful bossanova jazz song from the 70s
Flora Purim on the microphone, Joe Farrell on the flute, Chick Corea on the Piano, Stanley Clarke on the bass and Airto Moreira on the drums.

"Flam section" and "box-less". These things are difficult to say 5 times in a row.

I'm starting to feel "flam-less" for being mentioned on Rudiment 003! Oops, version 003!!

Auspicious

lol Box-less I think I invented that word about 1 hour ago, english is a real improvisation for me, like jazz. I would be damned without Google Translate.

Perhaps there won't be any revision 003 at all, I haven't decided yet, because, I feel happy with the revision 002 already and I see an improvement in my left hand in traditionnal grip by practicing the all-in-one page. It's happening, practicing rudiments is a good thing.

I am not the one saying it, I read it here.

The other day at the supermarket store I started drumming on a box with good acoustics and I could see the improvement, directly related to my practice of the rudiments and am starting to remember the associations between a name and the rudiment itself. I practice playing various rudiments in a random chain.

It's happening slowly.

I am very happy with this so far.

A video of my drumming will be published one day, maybe not in 2020 but I have good hopes for 2021, for constructive criticism, again.

Auspicious

hehehe

The process of practicing the rudiments is really interesting, I noticed so far that the Single Paradiddle Diddle is a very good exercise for me in a Jazz context especially, by practicing it and by inverting the hands and by repeating this modified version RLR RLL LRL LRR instead of the original RLR RLL RLR RLL.

I think the modified version is a better workout, it's much harder to process.

I might be wrong but I think the Lesson 25 would probably be good exercise for punk type of music, punk from the 90s like NOFX, Pennywise, Bad Religion etc.