4 piece kit........

I haven’t quite gotten to a 4pc yet. Too many low Tom fills for praise and worship at church, so still 1U/2D. At this point 2U offset moves my hats too far and 2U over the BD moves my ride too far, so 1U/2D it shall remain. When I jam with the guys or play out on a rare occasion, it’s a 4pc. Seldom do I actually feel I need the 3rd Tom outside of the low church rumbles.

At this point 2U offset moves my hats too far and 2U over the BD moves my ride too far
I'm really glad I read that since I'm looking at my kit now thinking what I'd give up for a 2up setup. I normally play a small kit especially if I'm out, but I've thought about trying a bigger one. Not sure I'd want to change my cymbals for another tom.

I'm currently playing 2 up/1 down, the 2 up are offset. It's definitely my favorite setup that I've tried, but I may try a 4 piece again sometime soon.
I can definitely see the appeal.

Reactions: DB7
Drummers should "ONLY" have one or two toms, Because if you get more than one tom they get to strutting and competing for the hen. Then you have a frigging mess. No just kidding the Drummer Bible states it's a sin to have more toms than you can play. So if you can play more you're good and if you play less you're good. If you have no toms then it's the chop block and off with your drum heads. I went from 5 piece to 6 piece to 4 piece to now I want just 3 with a floor tom. I find more and more I hate toms-all they do is strut and compete for space in a song, and then that compelling desire to whack all of them even if not needed. Still I have a mounted tom but I try to stay away from it. So really just my issue.
Wrong! Ask Terry Bozzio and others. Painters don't use three colors!!!

Wrong! Ask Terry Bozzio and others. Painters don't use three colors!!!
No......but interior decorators do.;) I guess it depends on what your creating. After 30 yrs of a double bass multi Peart kind of set up.......I'm just not feeling it anymore. Too much to haul around and set up. Too much energy used to play more then what's necessary. For me. For you it might be everything like it was for me in 1985. You need to be inspired that I know. And these additions to my 4 piece kit are really making me happy.

Is that Rod Morgenstiens kit?. To intimidating for my tiny brain.
Yes, Rod Morgenstein had some Signia like those. I tried for fun to play it, it’s really disturbing, but a lot of fun ! Four rack toms implies a hihat position too far left. Barely playable in real life.
I wanted to try a Simon Phillips Style kit.

Back