4 piece kit........

Its just words to give the feel. It's not actual terminology, just a mnemonic tool for drums, that's all. So is:

1 trip-let 2 trip-let
Pair-a-diddle
Sprang-a-lang
Walk-the-dog

You can replace the mnemonic phrase with any other one that floats your boat. Ergo "buck-et of fish" can be "go ? yourself" if you wanted.
'Pat n Debbie Boone' is my fave. (Mnemonic and fill)

Wouldn't you feel weird about having a tom on board and never using it in the whole show?

It's not that I've been determined on occasion to avoid incorporating toms in fills; it's that my mood has sometimes induced me to take a snare-centric approach. If I ever set up my toms but don't use them, I do sometimes think, "I didn't even need to bring those tonight." But given that I play only two toms (one in a snare stand and one on the floor), the burden of transport is negligible.

I need my Double pedal too. Crutch? Maybe......but it is what it is.

I would say no more than using a drum stick in each hand.

Double strokes sound different than single alternating strokes on bass pedals as well as hands.

Not sure I could be happy with a 4 piece...6 is about where I break over to the reduced return scale...and 8 is where I hit a tonal limit.
..though I do envy cocktail and hand drum players and their ease of mobility.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB7
That ludwig classic maple snare sounds amazing but My OC kicks in when I see the Orange sparkle . Damn I wish it was Red.

Hey man,

I love your current setup, lots of options there but seems easy to navigate at the same time! I recently picked up playing again. I got a 4 piece kit, hats, and a large crash/ride haha. Sometimes it helps stripping a few things away.

Your old set seems monstrous, but a lot of fun too. Glad to hear you're hanging onto playing despite your surgery.

Reactions: DB7
eh... I don't want to mention the mismatched bass drum heads on your previous kit but..... yeah. I just did.

Depends on room & music. Big rock show, 5 piece. Small room, 4 piece jazz kit. I dislike loading in & out so much, I smile when I'm packing snare, bass, hi-hat and ride/crash.

Ok..im gigging with my weckl set up 6 piece signia kit. After so many years I just wake from my brain fog realizing 90% of what I do is 10 and 14....maybe cause I like those drums?. Anyway watching shawn peloton on SNL forever using a 4 piece I just said forget it. I'm breaking out of my 6 piece rut.

I worked with Mr. Pelton a couple times at a studio where I worked in NYC. Bear in mind that, while you see a 4-piece drumset, he has a tech who shows up early with more drums than the average Guitar Center, he gets it all set up and ready. iirc he said Pelton had 70 snare drums, he brought about 20. He definitely said the cartage co. had a couple setups for him that would travel ahead for dates.

Ok..im gigging with my weckl set up 6 piece signia kit. After so many years I just wake from my brain fog realizing 90% of what I do is 10 and 14....maybe cause I like those drums?. Anyway watching shawn peloton on SNL forever using a 4 piece I just said forget it. I'm breaking out of my 6 piece rut.

Shawn is just so bad ass!..hes mentioned certain drummers he's been influenced by but to me he grooves harder than all of them. He really inspires me to groove like a bit!! On a small kit. Everything about! the cat is just cool...his body motions..his cool hat...his tone...his fur coat you'll see him in now and then. He's just to hip for one drummer to be.

IMG_5885OPT.jpg

I tried to downsize, but never can figure out which tom I should let go ! :D
Joke aside, I never played that bold configuration, I'm pretty comfy with a five piece 2 up/1 down.
4 piece kit is really enough for most songs but still, I miss the extra voice of a classic five piece kit.

View attachment 99670

I tried to downsize, but never can figure out which tom I should let go ! :D
Joke aside, I never played that bold configuration, I'm pretty comfy with a five piece 2 up/1 down.
4 piece kit is really enough for most songs but still, I miss the extra voice of a classic five piece kit.
Is that Rod Morgenstiens kit?. To intimidating for my tiny brain.

Its a strange phenomena but I'm pretty sure no-one else but us cares about tom fills. What they do care about tho is a solid back beat from start to finish of a tune....so with an eye out to getting home quicker and for the welfare of my back the sooner I can play a two piece kit the better.....ha I'm only joking, sort of....

This discussion reminds me of the bass forum debates over "4 strings or 5?"... some say more is good, some say fewer is better, some say "just make the music with what you have".

Personally, I have 4 and 5 string basses. Fretless ones, too. :D

Upsized from a 4 pc bop to a 2 up/1 down configuration with double 18" kicks. The footprint is still fairly compact, and the small kicks mean that everything is pretty close together, especially the hats. A "super bop," more or less!
IMG_3594.JPG

Back