4-piece drum kit.....what sizes?

Pootle

12, 16, 20 is my go to these days. I’ve tried a 10 as my sole rack tom but I always think it sounds choked and because it’s tuned low, may as well use a 12 anyway.

dirtyclinic

So I took my old Pearl Export out and set it up with the 10 and 14 inch toms and used my 12 and 16 on the main kit. They both sound great but I think the 12 and 16 is going to stay. I might try the 12 and 14 later.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Since you're already mounting your toms to cymbal stands that are there anyways, why not go 10/12/16? Or if you want to try something funky, go 12/10/16? You're only having to haul one extra drum at that point, not extra stands and such.

-Jonathan

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Since you're already mounting your toms to cymbal stands that are there anyways, why not go 10/12/16? Or if you want to try something funky, go 12/10/16? You're only having to haul one extra drum at that point, not extra stands and such.

-Jonathan
This ^^^^^^^. But if it must be a four-piece, then 12/16 is the combo. Every time.

GeeDeeEmm

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Depends on the music you play. Standard sizes will pretty much do it all. Want small, go small. Play rock, go big or go home. $$ matters a lot too.

donzo74

Depends on the situation. For rock, country and places where there's some elbow room, my general setup is 22/16/12. For small spaces, low volume or jazz, I'll use a 20/14/10 config.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I've ran a few 4 piece setups down the years ranging from 16/10/13 to 26/13/16. If you're gigging lots, go for the easiest to transport. Failing that, see which feels more comforable to you.

10" toms will do the job fine, 12s and 13s just have a better tuning range depending on what you're after.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I can never get 14" floor toms to tune the way I like them, unless they are RIMS/suspension mounted...and then I still feel like it is a rack tom masquerading as a floor tom

I use 13/16/22, and in the past year, have even gone to no floor at all in smaller venues (cafe's; weddings etc)...I use the bass drum if I want a meaty "bomb". Also, in my small group, I am using brushes 99% of the time, and don't feel that they activate the FT at all

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Here are my random thoughts and experiences with different 4-piece kits:

• I enjoy playing a 22, 16, 12 set-up the best. It has always sounded good and "felt" good to me.
  • Right now, I play a 20, 14, 12 in Ludwig Classic Maple. The 14" CM floor tom sounds really, really close to a 16" but in the convenience of a 14". This is not the case with any other 14" floor tom I've played. Ever.
  • I've also played a 20, 12, 16. This was a lot of fun as well. I enjoyed the ease of the rack tom placement over the 20 kick drum. My kick was a 20 x 20, so I got rid of it, but I liked the sizes of the bigger toms with a 20" kick.
  • A 22 combined with a 10, 14 just looks goofy to me. I've played a couple of set-ups like this, and I like neither the sound nor the look. I play a setup like this at a practice space, and I don't like them, but it's better than setting up and tearing down a kit at weekly practice.