4 grooves/solos in different styles

gusty

Platinum Member
I need 4 different examples of styles for an audition for a QLD education program called 'MOST'. Sort of like the all state band in the us, except theres a concert orchestra in this one too.

So i was thinking i'd do a snare solo or rudiment based solo to start, then into jazz, then funk then latin. or snare, funk, latin, jazz. whatever. but i need some suggestions for solo's or grooves to play. So if anyone has some ideas i'd really appriciate it if you could let me know.

gusty

Platinum Member
Ive chosen to transcribe and learn the take 5 solo for the jazz section but still need ideas for the others.

rootheart

play a very basic groove, something like 8th with your right hand (ride or hihat), BD on 1 and 3 , Snare on 2 and 4.
Now, without changing the pattern, make it sound like different styles:
Blues
Countrymusic
Rock´n Roll
Folk
Funk
Salsa
Reagge
Cajun
Hard Rock
Heavy Metal
Punk
Speed Metall
Techno
Rap
whatever.
the list is endless

simply use internal dynamics and/or speed to express different music stiles while just playing this same old basic groove on the same drumset.
Make sure the audience can tell the music genre by the way you play, just by listening to the drums, without band or backup track.

Last edited:

frank0072

Gold Member
play a very basic groove, something like 8th with your right hand (ride or hihat), BD on 1 and 3 , Snare on 2 and 4.
Blues
Countrymusic
Rock´n Roll
Folk
Funk
Salsa
Reagge
Cajun
Hard Rock
Heavy Metal
Punk
Speed Metall
Techno
Rap
whatever.
the list is endless

simply use internal dynamics and/or speed to express different music stiles while just playing this same old basic groove on the same drumset.
Make sure the audience can tell the music genre by the way you play, just by listening to the drums, without band or backup track.
Is this possible without changing in speed? I like the concept of what you say, and I think it shows a lot of skill if you can pull it of.

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
Blues
Countrymusic
Rock´n Roll
Folk
Funk
Salsa
Reagge
Cajun
Hard Rock
Heavy Metal
Punk
Speed Metall
Techno
Rap
whatever.
the list is endless

Yea that definitely seems like quite the challenge. Is there a good video of someone doing this?

Ask your teacher for a transcription of the crazy army solo. Its incredibly rudimentary, you need some decent chops, and its just darn groovy.

elliotdrummer7227

Blues
Countrymusic
Rock´n Roll
Folk
Funk
Salsa
Reagge
Cajun
Hard Rock
Heavy Metal
Punk
Speed Metall
Techno
Rap
whatever.
the list is endless

WOW!!!!!!!
thats alot of styles for one beat!
does anyone reckon you could do a douple bass version of that beat?????? =)
that would be good!

MOOSE

gusty

Platinum Member
Blues
Countrymusic
Rock´n Roll
Folk
Funk
Salsa
Reagge
Cajun
Hard Rock
Heavy Metal
Punk
Speed Metall
Techno
Rap
whatever.
the list is endless

thats a pretty cool idea but i dont think it'd work for this situation. thanks for the suggestion though.

TheGroceryman said:
Ask your teacher for a transcription of the crazy army solo. Its incredibly rudimentary, you need some decent chops, and its just darn groovy.
Yeah, for the rudimentary section i think im going to do crazy army. theres even a transcription on drummerworld.

For funk I was thinking of doing a combination of grooves from drummers like garibaldi, chambers, even some funky stuff from weckl and gadd. or any other funky groove.

I don't know too much about latin styles or solos, enough to get me through fairly simple charts, so I still need some help on this one.

gusty

Platinum Member
Blues
Countrymusic
Rock´n Roll
Folk
Funk
Salsa
Reagge
Cajun
Hard Rock
Heavy Metal
Punk
Speed Metall
Techno
Rap
whatever.
the list is endless

I just thought...if you didn't change the pattern, wouldnt you only be able to use your left foot?