4 3/4 " port on a 18 inck kick?

john gerrard

I just recently bought a Gretsch Cat Jazz kit and really fell in love with the kit especially the 18 kick. I ported the original reso with a 4" hole and really liked the sound. Unfortunately I had an accident and broke the original reso. I ordered a replacement Aquarian Regulator. The catalog I had said it came with a 4 1/4 " inch hole but I just found out that it comes with a 4 3/4" hole. I haven't received it yet and I'm wondering if you people think that 4 3/4" is too much for a 18' kick? I don't want to rob the little kick of too much boom. The 4 inch hole seemed just right, but it's really hard to tell. As of right now I have never had the kit outside of my carpeted rec room and it sounded good from where I sat.

So I guess for right now I'm just looking for your opinions. I have a big gig comming up this Sat. at an outdoor festival with a pro sound company and I couldn't wait to hear this kit mice'd. I guess if I don't like the Aquarian I can always send it back and use my Renowns but I had my heart set on hearing the Cat Jazz kit.

Thanks for the opinions. John

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think it's too big. Anything over 5" is like having no reso head at all, so they say. And I think they mean that to be on a larger kick drum. So a 4 and 3/4 sounds like too big for an 18 to me.
For an 18 I'd encourage you to go unported. But if you must port, I'd keep it pretty small, like 2". Enough to get a mic in there.

You will absolutely get more bass with an unported head. Porting takes away the really low frequencies.

I used to play ported my whole life. Now I play unported, and after getting used to it, it just sounds so much bigger. Porting castrates a bass drum to a certain degree. A ported kick drum does not put out 100% of it's capability. If you regularly mic your kick, then porting isn't as much of an issue. If you play unmiced, you will have a better tone in the audience if you go full front.

Soupy

Silver Member
I can't imagine that there will be a major difference between a 4" port and a 4 3/4" port. 3/4" is small compared to the 4" you've already got there.

opentune

Platinum Member
I can't imagine that there will be a major difference between a 4" port and a 4 3/4" port. 3/4" is small compared to the 4" you've already got there.
not a huge difference in diameter, but trasnalates to a big difference in the area of the circle.
4" diam is 12.5 sq. inch area
4 3/4 inch diam is 17.7 sq. inch

Agree with larry, small kick needs a small port, no larger than 2 - 3 inch. Don't kill your resonance!

harryconway

Platinum Member
I guess you'll just have to wait for the head to come in, try it, and then make a decision.​
I, personally, go no bigger that a 4" port, on a 22" kick. I have a 5" port, on one of my 24's, but it came that head. I'll probably change it out. On an 18" kick, I wouldn't port it at all.​

wildbill

Platinum Member

....Thanks for the opinions. John

My opinion is that you should try an un-ported reso head on your 18" kick sometime.

I've got two 18" Yamaha Bop kicks. One bought new, and I still have the stock heads on it.
One bought used with a 6" port hole in it. I didn't care for that at all and put a solid reso on it. They both sound and react good now.

wildbill

Platinum Member
In the first post, he says he really likes the sound of it. I guess that's reason enough.

I still think he should give un-ported a try though.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Unported, with a riser, will get the most tone from any 18" kick. I think you should get a riser so your beater hits just a little off center.
It's cool you like the sound as is, but there's a good chance you will like the unported sound better.

john gerrard

I've tried and tried to get used to playing a unported head, but after 50+ of playing one way ,old habits are too hard to break. Kinda like trying to teach an old dog new tricks ha ha

I talked to the place that I ordered it from and asked if I could just refuse the shippment. The person that I spoke to said that I could " but I should at least accept it and take it out and see if I like it" I said "then if I don't like it I can return it ?" he said " as long as you don't use it" I went on to explain that you can't judge how a drum head will sound without hearing it. He seemed to think that I should be able to tell if I liked it by just looking at it.

I went ahead and ordered a factory replacement just like the original. It will take a few more days to get here but it will be the same head that I really liked in the first place and I can put a 3" or 4" in hole in it, plus it already will have the Gretsch logo on it.

Thanks for the replys and good luck to all. John

PS. Larry I already have it on a riser. It came with one.

Last edited:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
My 18x15 Oak doesnt has a port nor wil it get one. Its in a riser so beater in centre.

I use a beta 52 on the batter side (next to the pedal) and a subkick on front.

They only reason I would port is, is when im using an internal May mic system and have no hole at all (since the xlr connection runs trough the only vent it has) and it would be very small holes all around like Russ Miller does:

Drumolator

Platinum Member
My Gretsch CCJ 18" bass drum has an Evans EQ 3 Resonant front head, which has a 4.75 inch hole. It now sounds better than it did with the stock head. I also put an Evans EQ pad inside that just sits in the bottom without touching either head (I had to modify it for that to be possible). I think I am getting just about as much low end as possible from it with the EQ 3 heads on the back and front. Peace and goodwill.