$4,000 Drum Set with Cheap Heads VS $400 Drum Set with Nice Heads

Ryan Culberson

Effin' DW drums. Who on Earth would be silly enough to fall for those overrated hype machines? I mean, this video proves that it's all propaganda and snake oil, right? John Good is personally responsible for the downfall of civilization... making people use power drills to change heads, forcing people at gunpoint to tune his drums to the notes HE insists upon, whispering lies into our subconscious minds while we're hypnotized into a trance by his unicorn tears.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Damn it really is in the heads -the cheap kit with ambassadors sounded better than DW kit with Easter heads.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
You know I spent big bucks on my crappy Stagg Custom because I'm cheap. I want to pay $4000 for the Easter-it sounds way better than the DW in my head. Enter the Easter custom (special order by me) so this one kit will be worth 4 grand-I want the best in cheap drums and I'll pay top dollar for the biggest piece of crap. 71nJgkQau1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Attachments

• 0e93d347-678b-417c-b139-7e89a16c3880.f147e72f6919821bf472d7ab331e6904.jpeg
    0e93d347-678b-417c-b139-7e89a16c3880.f147e72f6919821bf472d7ab331e6904.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: iCe

Darth Vater

You know I spent big bucks on my crappy Stagg Custom because I'm cheap. I want to pay $4000 for the Easter-it sounds way better than the DW in my head. Enter the Easter custom (special order by me) so this one kit will be worth 4 grand-I want the best in cheap drums and I'll pay top dollar for the biggest piece of crap. View attachment 116353
Bo and the little bo peeps will be running out for sets of these! Then they'll gripe about how much the better heads cost. :ROFLMAO:

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
Effin' DW drums. Who on Earth would be silly enough to fall for those overrated hype machines? I mean, this video proves that it's all propaganda and snake oil, right? John Good is personally responsible for the downfall of civilization... making people use power drills to change heads, forcing people at gunpoint to tune his drums to the notes HE insists upon, whispering lies into our subconscious minds while we're hypnotized into a trance by his unicorn tears.
Ha! This entry should be published in the glossary of a literary text as an example of satire.:p

I can offer this consolation: Of all the house/backline kits I've played, the DWs have been some of the nicest.

Ryan Culberson

Ha! This entry should be published in the glossary of a literary text as an example of satire.:p

I can offer this consolation: Of all the house/backline kits I've played, the DWs have been some of the nicest.

Nonsense, Mr. Jones! You only THINK they were some of the nicest backline kits you've played. That not-so-subliminal JG DW marketing blitzkrieg worked its potent magic on your senses. That's how attempted world domination begins.

Hey, at least when I come to my senses and realize how badly I've been duped, the resale is good. 🤪🤩

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
Nonsense, Mr. Jones! You only THINK they were some of the nicest backline kits you've played. That not-so-subliminal JG DW marketing blitzkrieg worked its potent magic on your senses. That's how attempted world domination begins.

Hey, at least when I come to my senses and realize how badly I've been duped, the resale is good. 🤪🤩
You're right. My iron-clad mentality, hardened through a lifetime of confronting chiselers, finally met its match in the insidious promotional schemes of DW. Subconsciously, I hated those house/backline kits, but the machinations of malignant marketing overwhelmed my judgement, transfusing me with approval. I even tried to tune my hi-hats to the note of G. Even worse, I considered leaving Pearl. :oops:

Superman

Gold Member
Absolutely stupid. A manipulated mic'd recording session doesn't mean a thing. Go bring that Eastar kit on a 30 gig tour and tell me how well it holds up. A top end kit from any of the major brands will last a lifetime.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Well ..... the moral to the story is cheap beginner/starter heads are CRAP !!!! But ...... didn't we all know that already ?????? I guess maybe not:unsure:

UT ..... whatever comes with your beginner/imtermediate level kit. They're inferior to a GOOD SET OF HEADS. Duh !!! But them's the breaks. You don't get $150-$200 head set on a $600 drum set.:ROFLMAO: Hell, you're dropping $40 or $50 on a Superkick or EMAD alone. And you ain't gonna get one of those with your poplar $450 Pearl Midtown.

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy seeing all the DW hate, though.;) Damn, there's more haters than in the Yamaha Stage Custom thread:ROFLMAO:

I'd bet you could do this test with just about any high end kit (replacing the DW) and get similar results. Probably rdavidr used a DW kit ..... because he could get his hands on one quick. Might even be his kit. I haven't watched too many of his video's, to know what all he owns. I know he likes the vintage Tama(y)

And I'm gonna call BS on all the recording this/recording that excuses. How else do you make a demo drum video without RECORDING ?????:LOL: Oh yes ..... lets not use a mixer or microphones:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: That might taint the sound:ROFLMAO:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, to be honest, I've owned several DW Collector's kits and they sounded great with whatever heads. I've owned alot of different brands and they all sounded great. So I'm in the enviable position to not really hate certain brands because at one point I owned it and played it. But this point was actually demonstrated years ago by a famous guitar luthier who compared a guitar with beautiful tone woods making up the entire body to a guitar with basically a paper-pulp back and sides with a nice tone wood on top. And nobody could tell the difference. I've put at least coated Ambassadors on everything at one point (even cheap sets) and made all those sets sound, if not great, then at least acceptable.

If anything, this thread just reiterates what we all say when you buy a new set of drums (or any set of drums): budget for a whole new set of heads too. They're not $10 like a new set of guitar strings, but that's just the cost of doing business for us.