3up 3down questions

A 14" as a rack is totally manageable, especially on a rack. Still I don’t understand the need for even numbers, 13" sound good, 15" also, check out Gavin Harrison.
My 13 is a great Tom, but I reckon it’s difficult to tune when I play with all my toms (10 12 13 14 16 - for fun only).

3 floors on one side is a long reach to the last one. I tried this years ago with a hodgepodge of drums I had and just couldn’t get all the way back to the third floor tom.
I had fun putting one of the floors on the opposite side though. Like Kamak said, very Larry Mullen which is exactly what I played on it.
Hope you enjoy that set and looking forward to a review!!

3 floors on one side is a long reach to the last one. I tried this years ago with a hodgepodge of drums I had and just couldn’t get all the way back to the third floor tom.
I had fun putting one of the floors on the opposite side though. Like Kamak said, very Larry Mullen which is exactly what I played on it.
Hope you enjoy that set and looking forward to a review!!
Not sure I'm qualified to give a review as I'm a first year drummer (at age 57!). Being a first year drummer is also why I keep asking such crazy questions! LOL My gut feeling is I'll eventually consider 3up/3down overkill as well. But I've always been one of those dummies that has to try it for myself before I accept people telling me it's crazy! ;-)

Well I can't say that I'm setting it up just for that one song, but I did think of doing exactly what you're suggesting. However, I'm fighting my inner mathematician. I really like the idea of 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 18"....everything spaced out by a 2" increment. If I'm not mistaken, Phil uses a 13" as his lowest rack tom, which would drive me nuts!!! And a 14" rack tom seems way too big. I am using a DW Rack if that matters. Not sure that would support 4 toms...even if I used a 13" as my largest.

Phil's most common setup is 8, 10, 12, 15, with 16 and 18 floor toms. He did briefly use a 14" as his largest tom in his 4-up 2-down set up, but the 15" is his usual. He also off sets his toms, which isn't really possible with a rack.

Phil's most common setup is 8, 10, 12, 15, with 16 and 18 floor toms. He did briefly use a 14" as his largest tom in his 4-up 2-down set up, but the 15" is his usual. He also off sets his toms, which isn't really possible with a rack.

Wow, Phil plays everything at quite an angle. His set is more perpendicular than horizontal. His snare drum especially would be awkward for me.

He claimed recently that his posture behind his kit has always been poor. That's one reason he's combatting nerve compression in his spine. He can't drum without pain anymore.

The snare angle is to give him a little more room to cross his hands to play the hi hat. The hi hat is low to make room for the toms over them.

It looks extreme for sure, though just like most set ups one piece has an effect on where the next piece goes. The more pieces the more compromises you have to make. I can say from experience that playing a kit set up like his makes playing his licks a lot more natural.

The snare angle is to give him a little more room to cross his hands to play the hi hat. The hi hat is low to make room for the toms over them.

It looks extreme for sure, though just like most set ups one piece has an effect on where the next piece goes. The more pieces the more compromises you have to make. I can say from experience that playing a kit set up like his makes playing his licks a lot more natural.

Yeah, the positioning of everyone's setup will differ owing to the factors you've outlined. And you're right about compromises with regard to large kits. That's one reason I like a one-up, one-down configuration. You don't have to make as many geometric calculations with a compact arrangement.

Just ordered a DW Performance Series 5-piece shell pack (cherry stain lacquer). I ordered a 7"x8" rack tom, but that won't be available until July. If I decide to get the 16"x18" floor tom later this year, which I probably will, then I'll have the whole kit that I discussed.
Well, you'll have the 14 and 16 floors to play with. You'll probably figure out pretty easy, if the 18 will be reachable for you, either on the left, or right. And if you own a kit already, you can always use that floor tom .... as a mock-up.

Well, you'll have the 14 and 16 floors to play with. You'll probably figure out pretty easy, if the 18 will be reachable for you, either on the left, or right. And if you own a kit already, you can always use that floor tom .... as a mock-up.
I do have a kit, an entry level Pearl. Actually it's my daughters kit from when she used to play. She's excited that I finally ordered my own kit so she can sell hers. But I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to set the 16" up as a mock 18". I hadn't thought of that though...thanks for the idea.

Gergo Borlai uses 3 floor toms on his right side. He makes it look way too easy. It's totally not, lol. He's not using 3 racks in this video, but I have seen him use an 8" occasionally.

I think 3 floor toms on the right is crazy. You gotta twist yourself around to even reach it. Definitely put 1 of the 3 floor toms to your left. It's more ergonomic, and more importantly, it gives your left hand more to do.

I think it was @Odd-Arne Oseberg who once posted a link to Borlai's playing in response to a question I asked in another thread. If it was, maybe he can link it again... I remember it was Borlai play a solo on a somewhat larger kit with "ribbon" type cymbals. Anyway, I was blown away by his playing then, and I still am now. I think he's one of the most musical soloists I've heard in a long time. And, on top of all he can play, I think he has one of the deepest grooves I've heard from this type of playing in a long time, too.

Buuut, buddy's got to lose a few pounds... one bad reach for that 18" and his back is done for. That's a fair bit of weight to be whipping around like that, no?

And, I don't know if anyone caught it, but was that really a 3-point butt-end-cross-stick-to match-grip-switch at 3:11? You're telling me he can play all that - so, so well - and still not know how to flip a stick? I honestly don't think that's possible - it's like Usain Bolt not being able to tie his own shoes. I don't know, maybe he was having an off-night, or he thought he was? I'm not griping, I just happened to notice a few things watching that video. Still, I wonder why we don't hear more of this guy.

Back