3D Printed Snare

So I had an idea for a shell using a 3D printer. Then I ran across this:

My idea was different, to make staves with the printer that locked together. I like this solid shell/lugs design much better. It has rerings, that made me laugh.

I like the idea and would be on board to try one out, cost dependent obviously.

What say you DW, yay or nay on 3D printed drums?

3D printing them could settle many arguments over their importance. When connected to a wood snare, we could learn a lot.
Never thought about that. It would be an excellent way to really compare things, like bearing edge profiles, shell thicknesses, diameters, depths, number of lugs, etc. If the material is the same and unwavering, that's a fantastic test bed.

3D-printed food has been around for decades. You can get it at any American drive-through establishment. It usually includes fries. If you consume enough of it, 3D-printed medical apparatuses can be used to repair your heart.
Haha I forgot about that. I dont eat their wares much, almost never really.

I hear those 3D machines do great repair work. I'm not in any hurry to find out.

Maybe, I dunno. They can 3D print food. I imagine they can 3D print bronze.
I would be surprised if there's a 3D printer out there that can print metal... it would require a print head that can handle alot of heat (to melt the metal). The print head has electronics in it that wouldn't stand the temperatures.

But I like the printed stave idea. Plus you can do all kinds of colors, even wood colors, and even wood grains. And add inlays etc etc. This is an area I'd like to get into, assuming I come out the other side of this pandemic without losing everything LOL.

I would be surprised if there's a 3D printer out there that can print metal... it would require a print head that can handle alot of heat (to melt the metal). The print head has electronics in it that wouldn't stand the temperatures.

But I like the printed stave idea. Plus you can do all kinds of colors, even wood colors, and even wood grains. And add inlays etc etc. This is an area I'd like to get into, assuming I come out the other side of this pandemic without losing everything LOL.
I just looked briefly, and they can in fact print small things in bronze, like little statues and such. I saw nothing even close to the size of a cymbal.

The few things I looked at were all from 2018. It might be fairly new.

I think staves would be cool. If they locked, they could be unlocked and changed too.

Another application is, if the sonic properties of 3D print material aren't appealing, you could go with a 3D printed veneer to cover an existing wood or metal snare. Does anyone know if lacquer paint would stick to it though?

I don’t know how to feel about this?! Part of me thinks ? but another part of me would like to try one out... ? How much are these things going for? If they’re affordable I can see kids jumping all over them...which by the looks of it wouldn’t damage the shell in the slightest!!:unsure:

Certainly fusing the lugs to the shell, as a one piece design, adds mass to the shell and reduces its sonic qualities. Would be nice to hear a full dynamic range test on the Stratasys snares, along with various tunings and heads.

The long term picture is that 3D printers become cheap enough that anyone can print (or re-print) a shell for a drum, and reuse their hardware on it. Template files could be shared in the drum community for all the different drum makes and models.

I’m wondering if a 3D printer could make smaller, practical accessories and parts that usually cost a lot for what you get, like memory locks, tension locks, muffling, etc. Basically, things that don’t undergo a lot of stress and aren’t subject to being constantly hit.

I saw recently they were 3D printing with...whatever media it was that actually grows to become viable cells for medical purposes... Organ replacement, tissue/cosmetic repair....etc.
So, of course, pretty soon...never mind, I'll behave.

Certainly fusing the lugs to the shell, as a one piece design, adds mass to the shell and reduces its sonic qualities. Would be nice to hear a full dynamic range test on the Stratasys snares, along with various tunings and heads.

The long term picture is that 3D printers become cheap enough that anyone can print (or re-print) a shell for a drum, and reuse their hardware on it. Template files could be shared in the drum community for all the different drum makes and models.
And then you gotta wonder( well I do anyway) Printed guitar bodies, necks and fretboards.

Back