32bar form counting playing techniques

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I find keeping track of the bars and filling in a thirty two bar form somewhat challenging, especially playing solo so I have been think of ways to make it easier, one way I have come up with is to play "patterns" on my big ride that reflect where I am at in the 32 bars, say by dividing the ride into right concentric rings playing two bars at each ring working inward, then back out again, of course focusing on getting unique tones and timbres at each ring. I also mix up the dynamics while I'm at as well as throw in a shoulder hit or bell here and there, but keep that basic progression. Does anyone else do this?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I like to pretend that I am trading 8's with myself. I simply play four segments of 8 measures.
I hope that I am making sense here, I don't know how to explain it well.

WhoIsTony?

there comes a point where we should all be able to feel 4 measure phrases and 8 measure phrases without counting at all.

if I am in a 32 bar form and I am not thinking of a melody I just feel through four 8 bar phrases

counting is a complete waste of mental energy and stifles creativity

every musician who has listened to and played music long enough .... to affectively make music needs to be at a point where they can feel groups of 4 and 8 bars without counting or using any tricks with the ride cymbal to remind them where they are

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I find keeping track of the bars and filling in a thirty two bar form somewhat challenging, especially playing solo so I have been think of ways to make it easier, one way I have come up with is to play "patterns" on my big ride that reflect where I am at in the 32 bars, say by dividing the ride into right concentric rings playing two bars at each ring working inward, then back out again, of course focusing on getting unique tones and timbres at each ring. I also mix up the dynamics while I'm at as well as throw in a shoulder hit or bell here and there, but keep that basic progression. Does anyone else do this?
Absolutely not. By moving around the cymbal, you're changing your tone, which is something you're supposed to do for musical reasons. Same goes for giving yourself auditory cues-- every sound you make is supposed to serve the music.

If you know the tune you're playing, you don't have to count. Like, if you learn to sing Bye Bye Blackbird, lyrics and all, it will be impossible to screw up the form. Once you've played/you know a lot of 32 bar tunes, you start to get an internal sense of what 16+16 feels like in the abstract, or what a complete AABA cycle feels like, and you can maintain it without having to count or think of a specific tune.