30” subwoofers

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I was going to post a picture but thought I better not divulge any industry secrets - but I just got done installing TWO subwoofer cabinets that contain a 30” speaker each. Each box is about as tall as an upright piano and about 30” deep. Both are actually situated in a way that they’re strapped together with the speakers facing each other at a 45-degree angle. They have to be strapped together because when you start playing sound through them, the vibrations will make them walk away on their own!
Man and I thought the 18” sub I bought for my personal PA system was big and heavy.

big bottom exists - these speakers will probably vibrate the listeners to vomiting 🤮

I was going to post a picture but thought I better not divulge any industry secrets - but I just got done installing TWO subwoofer cabinets that contain a 30” speaker each. Each box is about as tall as an upright piano and about 30” deep. Both are actually situated in a way that they’re strapped together with the speakers facing each other at a 45-degree angle. They have to be strapped together because when you start playing sound through them, the vibrations will make them walk away on their own!
Man and I thought the 18” sub I bought for my personal PA system was big and heavy.

big bottom exists - these speakers will probably vibrate the listeners to vomiting 🤮
Bo is this monstrosity about 7' wide with room for electronics in the space between the 45* subs?

These are self powered speakers, so I’m not sure what the amps are pushing. But it’s got to be powerful if they’ll literally move across the floor if you don’t anchor them somehow. I can’t wait until we do the actual tests.

Are you kidding me, no pictures or videos? :)

I didn’t know subwoofer drivers came that large so I went on a search:

022520_Ascendo_6-foot-tall_SMSG50.jpg

speakers facing each other at a 45-degree angle.
No phase cancellation?

This is a quarter of the system a local drummer friend and soundguy has. All custom built. It's the Brown Noise maker.
Love the "be kind" flower next to the 1 bazillion inch sub. Subliminal message to the sound guy?

I love the Bose sub canon.

They use one at the Spookslot (Haunted House) at De Efteling.

View attachment 106190

I always visit that one for the sub ending only.

De Trollen Koning (Troll King), uses this system as well.

You know - for a company that's as traditionally conservative as bose - I'm love that they went "WAVE CANNON" on the branding.

I really am curious about this. When I was building PA cabinets, we did some builds for Fulcrum Acoustic that had 30" and 21" subs with angled mounts. We did EAW stuff with self powered 45* boxes, but nothing that large. Klipsch also sent us something to paint that was about 7' long, 4' tall, and 3' wide. The woofers in it were bigger than 18s, one at either end, and at 45*. The ports ran around the back of the box to the front inside, and there was rack space in between the ports.

Back