3 videos of me jamming to funk-tracks in the new studio.

Thaard

Platinum Member
So, I've finally gotten a job as a studio-worker and sound-mixer/recorder/"sound-guy".
It's a very ungrateful job most of the time, but I like it anyway(reminds me of of drumming!)

It also let's me set up a kit in the studio and record some videos, which makes up for most of the ungratefulness(the money is ok too). Here's some jamming to Tommy Igoe's funky playalongs.

Oh, I've also gotten a drum teacher, who I'm going to take lessons from this summer.

Anyways, links:

C15 fast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um8v_3YcA_c&l

J67 busy hands funk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbtKCNcvTDY

Kl 74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-KXWjlkNkA

Oh, and I will be recording some original material quite soon!

Last edited:

calim

the C15 is not easy to play close to 100% in sync from the beginning to the end ! I have the same difficulties (but I play a more basic pattern with the right hand, on the ride)
Anyway ! Good job !

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, this is really great my friend. Now we can really hear & see what you're doing. No surprises here. I knew this would be fantastic, & it is. Loving your playing these days. You've always had more chops than anyone's rightly entitled to, but the way you're putting stuff down, & the reserve that you now factor in, is just sublime. Absolutely loving it!!!!!!!!!

aydee

Platinum Member
Nice Thaardy...

your'e holding it in, nice and controlled. Very tight, very pro, very mature..I like the fact that your claws are sheathed, even though Im also the first to get off on your choppaganzaclips.

Good stuff..even better actually!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Absolutely loved it Thaardy, really grooving and I like the fills very much.

I liked the HH patterns in KI 74, it can be such a pain to play this kind of 16th feel with one hand, you did it really well :)

Thaard

Platinum Member
the C15 is not easy to play close to 100% in sync from the beginning to the end ! I have the same difficulties (but I play a more basic pattern with the right hand, on the ride)
Anyway ! Good job !
Thanks. Yea, it wasn't the most easy task, especially when I wasn't using a metronome. I'm quite pleased with the result though, even if there are some "bumps" here and there.

Wow, this is really great my friend. Now we can really hear & see what you're doing. No surprises here. I knew this would be fantastic, & it is. Loving your playing these days. You've always had more chops than anyone's rightly entitled to, but the way you're putting stuff down, & the reserve that you now factor in, is just sublime. Absolutely loving it!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Andy! I'm trying to build a set of tools for different situations and circumstances. I wanted a more controlled "studio'ish" feeling on these tracks, so that's what I went for.

Nice Thaardy...

your'e holding it in, nice and controlled. Very tight, very pro, very mature..I like the fact that your claws are sheathed, even though Im also the first to get off on your choppaganzaclips.

Good stuff..even better actually!

Thanks Abe. I will be recording some more experimental and chopsy stuff later. Mark my words!

Amazing, smooth as silk! Great chops.
Thanks!

great playing Thaard

some really nice grooves
Thanks man!

Absolutely loved it Thaardy, really grooving and I like the fills very much.

I liked the HH patterns in KI 74, it can be such a pain to play this kind of 16th feel with one hand, you did it really well :)
Yeah, It's a pain in the ass, especially in the long run. Thankfully, I've practiced those one-handed 16ths a lot, since I'm a big fan of Jeff Porcaro and his phrasing(and many of the great funk drummers too).

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Hey, great playing there, mate!

This is the real stuff, video taping, no cuts, from the beginning to the end!
The only thing one could find missing is your own music, but Tommy Igoe's
playalongs are soo cool luckily :)!

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Have to differ with Matthias - those Igoe tunes are as boring as batsheet to me as a listener. Looking forward to your proggy choppo-whatevers Abe was talking about.

Thaardy, you always were a beast - still a beast :) You seem to be giving your backbeat more oomph these days and it's added to your groove, the internal dynamics. BTW, are you wearing contacts these days or flying blind?

Thaard

Platinum Member
Right on, Thaard! That sounds really great! Great feel!
Hey, thanks man!

Hey, great playing there, mate!

This is the real stuff, video taping, no cuts, from the beginning to the end!
The only thing one could find missing is your own music, but Tommy Igoe's
playalongs are soo cool luckily :)!
Thanks Swiss. Yea, no editing or cuts here, just me playing infront of a camera in studio :)
I will post more original content soon. This was just to test out the studio/kit and getting some videos out there.

Have to differ with Matthias - those Igoe tunes are as boring as batsheet to me as a listener. Looking forward to your proggy choppo-whatevers Abe was talking about.

Thaardy, you always were a beast - still a beast :) You seem to be giving your backbeat more oomph these days and it's added to your groove, the internal dynamics. BTW, are you wearing contacts these days or flying blind?
The Igoe tracks are hit and miss. These tracks were easy to record and left room for me to do some flashy stuff here and there, while grooving.

I'm not wearing glasses here because that headset squeezes them(my glasses) around my ears, so it's really annoying. I seem to close my eyes a lot when playing in studio anyway, so I don't need to see clear :p.

I really enjoyed it. Nice groovy drumming with some great chops as well.
Hey, thanks for the nice comment!

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Have to differ with Matthias - those Igoe tunes are as boring as batsheet to me as a listener.
hm, I think I know what you mean. I guess I've always only listened to them with my
groove-ears, but never really with my song-ears. Of course as pieces of music with
a story they're basically good for nothing, but they're fantastically played, with feel
and groove.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I'm not wearing glasses here because that headset squeezes them(my glasses) around my ears, so it's really annoying. I seem to close my eyes a lot when playing in studio anyway, so I don't need to see clear :p
It works visually, though. In this clip you looked and sounded more "pro" than I remember.

hm, I think I know what you mean. I guess I've always only listened to them with my groove-ears, but never really with my song-ears. Of course as pieces of music with a story they're basically good for nothing, but they're fantastically played, with feel and groove.
I've only got song ears but I agree that Thaardy's grooving is awesome - he's always been a scary player :)