3 things to remember before every gig.

Stickman

Silver Member
Do you ever play a gig where you're tired or distracted.. and it all goes out the window? Or you listen back to tapes of your band and you think'I don't remember it sounding like that on stage! ' Anyway it got me thinking.. if you were to pin a note on your drums with 3 motivational rules to fire you up before a gig.. what would it be? (can be more than 3 if you wish).
Anyway , here's mine:

1. Sit up - don't slouch, look at the crowd or band mates frequently and smile
2. Stay loose but play tight - with a lot of precision, confidence, snap and dynamics
3. Keep the meter steady, driving and flowing - no distractions, no band mates errant time or dynamic changes will affect the meter (unless it's supposed to!)

Hmm?..a little note...Dont let song sequence bug you..2..be more bubbly between sets with the audience members instead of over thinking every note you played being a downer..number 3..hmmm...ok...what would Shawn Pelton do.

1. make sure I can hear the bass and vox in the monitor
2. DON'T think about what I might mess up
3. make sure my pants are on (or most gigs...)

Divide your mental self in "3 guys":
One who is focused on what you have to do.
One who is listening to the others from a stage point of view
One who is listening to the whole band from a crowd point of view

For guy one, I have my ipad with Bandhelper and my scores and my IEM
For guy 2 I have my IEM and my volume that could be up or down feeded by my Aux on main mixer
For guy 3, I have my IEM, same possibility for the volume but feeder by an extra PA main volume for the crowd that could be mixed with my own IEM and the IEM for Aux, so, a balance of 3 volumes to ear everything from all sides and point of view.
Ok, I do that when on keys as the BL and MD.
Ha yes, any of the "guys" could talk into a mic and tell to the others anything, without the crowd hearing me.... Or sometimes talking to the crowd.... Just a switch on my mic.

You do that all the time when you play a classical concerto so, I learnt it years ago and it has worked very well for my last band when I was finally in charge of everything....
The joy and smile come automatically when you don't have to tell anything to anyone and the guy 3 really likes what he's hearing!!!!

Change of underwear.

1) Check and double check your gear to ensure you have everything

2) Leave early enough that you get to the venue first to set up ( bandmates will leave you no room if you don’t) . You also get to relax for a bit before the gig

3) Water and Advil - do both before the gig - you will be thankful after and the next day .

Do you ever play a gig where you're tired or distracted.. and it all goes out the window? Or you listen back to tapes of your band and you think'I don't remember it sounding like that on stage! ' Anyway it got me thinking.. if you were to pin a note on your drums with 3 motivational rules to fire you up before a gig.. what would it be? (can be more than 3 if you wish).
Anyway , here's mine:

1. Sit up - don't slouch, look at the crowd or band mates frequently and smile
2. Stay loose but play tight - with a lot of precision, confidence, snap and dynamics
3. Keep the meter steady, driving and flowing - no distractions, no band mates errant time or dynamic changes will affect the meter (unless it's supposed to!)
The babe who's checking out all the dudes, just forget about it.
Make sure the drinks are really on the house.
Before you say "Hello Atlantic City!" make sure you're IN Atlantic City!

Back