3-ply Slingerland chrome over wood wrap removal

Silverfox

So I managed to get a 24 x 14 3-ply shell on ebay for a restoration project. After I painfully removed the chrome wrap, large chunks of the thin outer mahogany ply came off with it, so I decided to strip the shell down to the poplar. Would most people consider this to be unusable?

I figure I could just glue an outer ply of maple veneer like this as a replacement, which shouldn't be impossible, right?

http://www.cabinetparts.com/p/veneer-tech-wood-veneer-VTMAPLEPLPSA2X8?gdftrk=gdfV26452_a_7c8_a_7c2091_a_7cVT_d_MAPLEPLPSA2X8&gclid=CLezq8b1pLoCFZGf4Aodq2AAMg

If all goes well, I could stain it and finish it to be the start of a natural maple setup. Another option would be to find a way to adhere vinyl upholstery to it, as I've done with another Slingerland set, albeit with its outer mahogany ply intact. While it's technically a 2-ply shell right now, that doesn't render it completely unusable, does it? The outer ply was only 1/16" thick mahogany, and honestly doesn't seem to effect the structural integrity of the shell in any way.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
You removed the entire outer wood ply of a 3 ply shell?
Not a good idea!
If the metal wrap was tight you could have installed drum wrap right over it and trimmed away a thin strip where the rim of the head goes over the drum if the heads fit too tight.
How did you remove the metal wrap? Did you just pull it off?
You could have used an adhesive remover and slowly worked it until the wrap released.
I have also seen a sharp knife used to slowly cut away the glue as the wrap was peeled.

Applying wood venire to a round surface is an art, but it can be done.
I have seen countertop products applied to drums too.
I would consult a pro who installs laminate counter tops and have him take a look at the project.

opentune

Platinum Member
So I managed to get a 24 x 14 3-ply shell on ebay for a restoration project. After I painfully removed the chrome wrap, large chunks of the thin outer mahogany ply came off with it, so I decided to strip the shell down to the poplar. Would most people consider this to be unusable?
Well you're removed one third of the plies.... No doubt affecting its sound somewhat.
Chrome wrap is supposed the worst. Did you use a heat gun?
I think i was watching that drum on ebay, hope you can salvage what's left. I'd try the veneer of all the options you propose. Good luck.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
You applied vinyl upholstery to drum shells?That's got to kill any resonance those vintage 3 ply shells have.

Maybe you should have thought this through instead of just stripping an entire outer ply and wrap from the drum,and then deciding to apply a veneer to the shell.

Removing metal wraps are tough but using a heat gun,and going very slowly usually does the trick.

Steve B

harryconway

Platinum Member
Would most people consider this to be unusable?
Yes.​

I figure I could just glue an outer ply of maple veneer like this as a replacement, which shouldn't be impossible, right?
Certainly not impossible, but doing a veneer wrap is a challenge, especially with larger shells. And this, being your first. But hey, doing is how we learn, right?​

While it's technically a 2-ply shell right now, that doesn't render it completely unusable, does it? The outer ply was only 1/16" thick mahogany, and honestly doesn't seem to effect the structural integrity of the shell in any way.
Really, that's a judgement only you can make. If you're happy with the sound of the drum, that's all that matters.​

Silverfox

Well you're removed one third of the plies.... No doubt affecting its sound somewhat.
Chrome wrap is supposed the worst. Did you use a heat gun?
I think i was watching that drum on ebay, hope you can salvage what's left. I'd try the veneer of all the options you propose. Good luck.
The outer mahogany ply is extremely thin compared to the rest of the shell, while the middle poplar ply makes up the bulk of it, and the inner maple ply consists of the rest. Slingerland mainly used the thin 1/16" outer ply of mahogany veneer to adhere wraps to, since poplar isn't as good as an adhesive conductor. The loss in shell thickness appears to be miniscule.

The chrome wrap was in terrible shape. It was lifted and cracked in many places, so it wasn't difficult to remove. The mahogany ply was already separated in many places before I even removed the wrap, so there was no hope in even attempting to salvage it.

You applied vinyl upholstery to drum shells?That's got to kill any resonance those vintage 3 ply shells have.
I didn't apply anything to it yet.

I have plenty of tools to get the job done, so I'm going to give it either a new layer of maple or mahogany. This is what I was considering to wrap it in if I don't decide to stain it. I've seen plenty of people do it with great results, and I ordered some swatches of it for comparisons. It looks incredible.

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Upholstery-Sparkle-Vinyl-Sky.html

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The chrome wrap was in terrible shape. It was lifted and cracked in many places, so it wasn't difficult to remove. The mahogany ply was already separated in many places before I even removed the wrap, so there was no hope in even attempting to salvage it.
It would have been nice if you had put that in your IP. I thought that you had bought a drum that had some dents and scratches in the metal cladding and you tore it off until the outer ply had been removed with excessive force.

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
Try and fix it.

It probably won't end up as bad as mine did when something similar happened - LOL

Last edited:

Silverfox

Making a sacrifice to the drum gods, I see.

Honestly, I think it'll be perfect when I veneer it. I've always wanted a kit that looks like Ludwig thermagloss maple, and here's my chance. If I can just find veneer that closely matches it, I'll probably have it done next paycheck.

I'm making two kits out of all of these orphan Slingerland 3 ply shells in my collection. This is what I've amassed so far.

22 x 14 bass drum
24 x 14 bass drum
13 x 9 tom
13 x 9 tom
15 x 12 tom
16 x 16 floor tom
16 x 16 floor tom

I was thinking of dividing them into a 22, 13, 16 kit, and a 24, 13, 16 with the 15 x 12 as an extra swappable tom and an 18 x 16 floor tom whenever I make a financial recovery from all of this. I ordered green sparkle wrap for the smaller kit, while I plan to wrap the larger set in the maple veneer. It'll be delicious.