2oo2 Ride: 20" or 22"?

MikeM

Platinum Member
I've narrowed down my ride search to a 2oo2 but I'm still torn whether to go with the 20 or 22. I'm thinking the 22 is fuller and richer but that the 20 might be more "playable". Historically for me the 22 has been a default, but I've been borrowing a friend's 20 and I really like it. What to do? Oh, and I'll be ordering today sometime...

Advice welcome.

If you like em both, get em both.

If you have to choose, just think which one will you use in more styles. Or if you're gigging, what's more appropriate, eh?

In my opinion... the 22". 2002 are meant to be big. They sound great the bigger they are. :)

What weight is the ride in questioin? I like the 2O Power Ride.

If you like em both, get em both.

If you have to choose, just think which one will you use in more styles. Or if you're gigging, what's more appropriate, eh?

In my opinion... the 22". 2002 are meant to be big. They sound great the bigger they are. :)

If I can hang on the one I'm borrowing indefinitely, then I get both! I'm sure I'll have to give it back though eventually. I'm leaning your direction on big so far, but not so big as a 24" - I get lost and nappy playing those; must be some kind of spell! :D

What weight is the ride in questioin? I like the 2O Power Ride.

It's just the "Ride", which Paiste calls medium-heavy. I Iike this ride because of its crashability. I'm not sure how well the power ride does that. I have an AA RBDR if all I need is "ping".

If I can hang on the one I'm borrowing indefinitely, then I get both! I'm sure I'll have to give it back though eventually. I'm leaning your direction on big so far, but not so big as a 24" - I get lost and nappy playing those; must be some kind of spell! :D

Getting lost and nappy is just how awesome they are.. er something

I doubt the existence of a 23" ride in this model. Have you looked at other brands?

It's just the "Ride", which Paiste calls medium-heavy. I Iike this ride because of its crashability. I'm not sure how well the power ride does that.
It's actually very crashable, you'd be amazed. But the 22" you ordered is a great cymbal as well.

It's actually very crashable, you'd be amazed. But the 22" you ordered is a great cymbal as well.
the power ride is pretty gongy when you crash it. i love the 2002 power ride (its supposed to be what the 3000 power ride was back in the day)

the power ride is pretty gongy when you crash it. i love the 2002 power ride (its supposed to be what the 3000 power ride was back in the day)

I have a 20 2oo2 power ride and 22 3000 power ride. The 3000 looses considerable voulume IMO. My dad disagrees though. The 3000 crashes allot nice though.

Guess it's up to what you're used to. For example, Sabian 20" AAX Metal Ride is almost but not quite too gongy for me, and the 2002 Power Ride is much "crashier" than that. Also, you need to hit it with some conviction, but then it opens right up.

I have a 20 2oo2 power ride and 22 3000 power ride. The 3000 looses considerable voulume IMO. My dad disagrees though. The 3000 crashes allot nice though.
well if you wanna get rid of the 22" 3000 power ride hit me up :) i had the 20" back in the day and should of never gotten rid of it.

Jeez, it's still a week before I'm gonna see the friggin' thing (was too cheap to spring for the express shipping). It was last spotted by a UPS scanner in Kansas somewhere... not even sure I could find Kansas on a close-up map of middle America! This is killing me!

So anyway, I'll just have to tough it out tonight with the 20" 2oo2 I've been borrowing, but that leads me to another topic that perhaps should be its own thread. And that is that 20 I just referred to belonged to a friend of mine of many years (and is now in the hands of yet another friend). It's 20 years old, and was used on a half dozen Sub Pop recordings. I'm positive that it does not sound anything like it did when it was new. I've heard that some cymbals will mellow with age, but this has gone past mellowing. It it really dark. Like crappy sounding. That is, until it sits in a mix in the practice room with other people playing and it's the sweetest.

It's suffered its share of abuse and neglect over the years, but apart from a couple dents in the bell, I can't find anything else wrong with it. Does B8 mellow more than B20 with age??

Wouldn't you know it; I just played on my new 22" yesterday for the 1st time and couldn't help thinking I shoulda got the 20". Side by side with the 20 reveals it to be louder and oddly brighter, but also much slower. I think someone on here described 20" rides as being more "visceral" and that bigger rides made his time more lazy. That is true for me as well. I like the 22" nonetheless and am going to tough it out until I get used to it. I like that it does a little bit of everything (ping, wash, crash) and has a nice overall tone.

Wouldn't you know it; I just played on my new 22" yesterday for the 1st time and couldn't help thinking I shoulda got the 20". Side by side with the 20 reveals it to be louder and oddly brighter, but also much slower. I think someone on here described 20" rides as being more "visceral" and that bigger rides made his time more lazy. That is true for me as well. I like the 22" nonetheless and am going to tough it out until I get used to it. I like that it does a little bit of everything (ping, wash, crash) and has a nice overall tone.

If you play heavy music, use all the wash out of it, almoast to the point of crashing for the chorus type partd of the songs. Makes a big sound!

Mike,
I think you'll grow to love the 22". I was always a 20" Ride player, but once I started playing with bigger cymbals I grew to love the body that the extra wash provides. The beauty of the 2002 line (and most Paiste lines) is that the stick definition won't get lost in the mix of the other sounds going on.

Tim
Paiste America

i've been using a 22" 2002 ride for about 20 years...just a nice sweet sound!!

Back