2B sticks variation

rocker261

I've been playing ProMark 2B hickory nylon tip sticks a long time and find them most comfortable. However, I would like them a bit longer. Are there any sticks (preferably ProMark) that maintain the same specs (width, taper, weight, nylon tip, etc) that is a bit longer?

I would suggest visiting Promark's site, exploring their offerings, and pinpointing something that matches your desired specs. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for in a signature stick or in some other variation of Promark's standard 2B. The 2B is a popular size, one after which many similar alternatives are modeled.

The problem with the current Promark website is that they no longer provide specific stick data, at least in any consistent manner. It makes shopping and comparing models impossible.

I'm surprised they haven't updated it yet. I'm sure they've heard plenty of complaints about it (myself included). Please send D'Addario an e-mail, if you have the time.

Edit: They have added the specs to the "Learn More" tab, but you must scroll down beyond the general info. A customer rep replied to my e-mail and said they will be pulling that info from the tabbed page, and putting it on the front page.

So after all of that, it looks like your best bet would be the Classic 419. Same diameter as a 2B, slightly longer taper (which you might find you prefer - a slightly quicker feel), similar oval tip, and an extra 1/2" of length @ 16.5".

Last edited:
So after all of that, it looks like your best bet would be the Classic 419. Same diameter as a 2B, slightly longer taper (which you might find you prefer - a slightly quicker feel), similar oval tip, and an extra 1/2" of length @ 16.5".
The only problem is the Classic 419 is not available with nylon tip...only wood tip.

If you use the filters on the main screen left hand side, you can quite easily find what you want, apart from having to select different ranges, which seems a bit silly to me.
The Dave Lombardo stick is a little longer, though the taper is a long rather than medium, and it is lacquered rather than plain.

If you use the filters on the main screen left hand side, you can quite easily find what you want, apart from having to select different ranges, which seems a bit silly to me.
The Dave Lombardo stick is a little longer, though the taper is a long rather than medium, and it is lacquered rather than plain.
Yes, that is the route I took. I didn't suggest the Lombardo because of the nylon tip. That would be a deal killer for me, but maybe not for rocker 261.

Edit: completely missed the OP's comment about nylon tip. I think I'm just making things worse. Carry on ?

My suggestion is to buy a pair of Vater 2Bs and Vic Firth 2Bs, and try them out. Both are more readily available than any signature stick, and both are longer than the Pro Mark 2B. I realize you want to stay with Pro Mark, but you just might find one of these sticks to be just what you’re looking for.

If you're willing to change brands the Vic Firth Metal model is a 17" long 2B. Back when I was playing louder music it was my go to stick.

If you're willing to change brands the Vic Firth Metal model is a 17" long 2B. Back when I was playing louder music it was my go to stick.

I was going to suggest trying Vater. I was a die hard Promark guy for many years. Recently bought some Vater 2bs. As SOON as they were in my hands, I loved them. The wood used feels substantial, not light and hollow--solid.

Vater has several sticks in the same range that I've tried before. The Mike Wengren would have been great if not for the black paint. The Vater Rock model is also a little longer than a 2B though the extra short taper made it feel too front heavy for my taste.

I love Vater sticks and that's almost always what I use, but that solid feel is a big adjustment going cold from Pro Mark to Vater, especially with a bigger stick. Vic Firth sticks tend to split the weight difference between the other two brands and might be an easier switch.

Back