27" Wuhan China

Lee-Bro

I recently picked up a 27" Wuhan china. I made the purchase before making my pledge to limit my acquisition of more gear for 2018. It needs a little cleaning and I'm looking forward to doing some mallet rolls on it.

I taped a 12" ruler to it for the photo for perspective.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I saw one of those in a store years and years ago. At the time, I thought, it will take one heck of a swing to really get the full sound out of that, and also one huge cymbal bag to cart it around. But for a gongy or trashy sound for orchestral or theater playing, what a find. Enjoy!

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
With a size like that, it almost goes into the Swish category. I can't think of a cymbal bag made that could carry it, but then again, I'd just have one made special for it. =-D

ZildjianLover

I have always wanted one of these. My current china cymbal is an 18" Han Chi China Bright (ironically one of the darkest sounding chinas I have ever played on), and while I love it, it would be very nice to have another china cymbal that is larger, so the 27" Wuhan would certainly fit the qualifications.

Lee-Bro

I'm thinking it looks better as a hat than it sounds.
It's used in Finishing School for Drummers to teach proper balance.

Regarding it's sound, I struck it once two years ago and it's still ringing. Seriously though, it makes a decent gong and mallet rolls on it are pretty amazing. If I get time, I'll upload some short video clips.

johnwesley

Silver Member
It's used in Finishing School for Drummers to teach proper balance.

Regarding it's sound, I struck it once two years ago and it's still ringing. Seriously though, it makes a decent gong and mallet rolls on it are pretty amazing. If I get time, I'll upload some short video clips.
Not a big fan of China cymbals but would like to hear what a 27" has to offer other than helping you get down the catwalk.

iCe

I saw one of those in a store years and years ago. At the time, I thought, it will take one heck of a swing to really get the full sound out of that, and also one huge cymbal bag to cart it around. But for a gongy or trashy sound for orchestral or theater playing, what a find. Enjoy!
Yeah me too! It sounded more like a trashy gong than a china cymbal. My friends wanted me to buy it, but they weren't the ones who'd have to haul it around haha.

Iristone

I have a Chang which is basically a Wuhan (you can't buy Wuhans in China after the Attack Drumheads buyout). Volume wise I find it VERY sensitive - i.e. a relativelt soft stroke can result in a much bigger sound than my other cymbals. Not sure how that quality would translate to a 27" monster cymbal, though.