24x16 versus 22x18

octatonic

Hi ppl,

I've been wondering about the difference in tone between 24x16 and 22x18's?

I know there is a lot of variables but assuming the exact same drum manufacturer with the same hardware what are the main differences between these sizes.

I assume the volume (as in cubic volume, not sound level) is roughly equivalent so how does the translate into a different tone?
Is one more punchy than the other.

I'm a bit of a novice so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
The 24 will have a bit lower tone than the 22. All things being equal they should produce about the same volume.

Shallower bass drums are a little more responsive with regard to the beater feel but with that said there isn't a real big difference between 16 and 18.

I sit in on a friends 70's Ludwig pretty often that has a 24x14 and I do like the sound, size and feel. My maple kit has a 22x18. They're both different woods and heads, etc.. so I can't make a straight comparison but my 22 is definitely louder than the 24 Ludwig. So the size doesn't always dictate the volume it can produce but the 24 definitely has a lower tone.

Hope this helps.

octatonic

The 24 will have a bit lower tone than the 22. All things being equal they should produce about the same volume.

Shallower bass drums are a little more responsive with regard to the beater feel but with that said there isn't a real big difference between 16 and 18.

I sit in on a friends 70's Ludwig pretty often that has a 24x14 and I do like the sound, size and feel. My maple kit has a 22x18. They're both different woods and heads, etc.. so I can't make a straight comparison but my 22 is definitely louder than the 24 Ludwig. So the size doesn't always dictate the volume it can produce but the 24 definitely has a lower tone.

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot- thanks.
Can you tune a 24" up higher and get a similar amount of punch to a 22"?
Or is it all down to dampening.

Really appreciate the assistance.

MasterCylinder

Helps a lot- thanks.

I own both................... I prefer the 22" just because of height.
Depends what you mount (or don't mount) on top of the bass.
Both drums are good in the context of sound.

TTNW

Pioneer Member

Yes you can but "punch" doesn't necessarily correspond to tone.

Many people are always searching for that Bonham sound. He used a 26 tuned up a little higher. Good mix of punch and boom.

Dampening will affect the tone some and mostly reduce the sustain.

octatonic

I own both................... I prefer the 22" just because of height.
Depends what you mount (or don't mount) on top of the bass.
Both drums are good in the context of sound.

Ok, cool.
What sort of tonal change is there with drilled versus undrilled bass drums?

Yes you can but "punch" doesn't necessarily correspond to tone.

Many people are always searching for that Bonham sound. He used a 26 tuned up a little higher. Good mix of punch and boom.

Dampening will affect the tone some and mostly reduce the sustain.

Ok, I think I get it.

Thanks to you both.

B-squared

Silver Member
I have always associated the smaller diameters and deeper shells with megaphones. To me, that "megaphone effect" sounds good and I have a 16x22 and an 18x22. I used to play a 14x24 which had more of what I would describe as a "marching bass" sound. 18x20's really have a "megaphone effect". I have never played a 26 but I bet it has a really pronounced "marching bass" sound. I think both sound good with proper tuning. I go with 22's mainly because they are easier to haul around.

A

audiotech

Just yesterday I was playing a DW Performance kit with a 24" bass drum and the 12" rack tom was situated on a snare stand. I just couldn't get into it, it was just a little uncomfortable for me in that configuration. I like the sound of 24" drums, but their diameter makes things a little unorthodox with placing the rack toms. I really can't remember how I ever maneuvered across my dad's Ludwig kit with a 28" bass drum, lol.

Dennis