24 vs 22 Kick

Will248

24 or 22 ? I have both and enjoy both sounds. I’ve been switching back and forth and seem to like the sound of my 22 for the moment. Does anyone else go back and forth when it comes to your kick? I’ll go through spells where I like the sound and feeling of my 24 and I’ll play it for a while and switch over to my 22. I wouldn’t go smaller though not a fan of 20s.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Sometimes other elements of construction matter more.

I personally plan to have all sizes of my two favourite drum lines and choose what's appropriate for each situation.

There will be various more portable options as well.

I only have a 22, but I've played lots of 20s and 18s at work and when I actually did have a job at a school I would borrow what I needed.

My next purchase will be a split 20x8 which will be useful for lots of things.

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
I always buy a 22" and will never go bigger. Ergonomics is the primary reason. I invariably play a four-piece kit, with my 12" tom in a snare stand that partially extends over my bass drum. A 22" accommodates my ideal tom height. With a 24", I'd have to elevate my tom to an uncomfortable peak. That detriment alone is sufficient to seal my commitment to a 22".

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Over the years, I've had a 20, 22, & a 26. I played a 24 for about a year & really liked it as it's a decent balance between a 22 & a 26 (and it's not bad to lug around to gigs).
Aesthetically, it's nice as it fills in the space that seems to make smaller kick drums look really small under cymbals & rack toms.

24 or 22 ? I have both and enjoy both sounds. I’ve been switching back and forth and seem to like the sound of my 22 for the moment. Does anyone else go back and forth when it comes to your kick? I’ll go through spells where I like the sound and feeling of my 24 and I’ll play it for a while and switch over to my 22. I wouldn’t go smaller though not a fan of 20s.

On stage: 22x18 (for whatever reason, that is THE size that I find the easiest to get thumping through a PA without any issues and with a clear and solid attack)

In the room: 24x14 or even 26x14

In the car: 18x12 :D

Will248

Over the years, I've had a 20, 22, & a 26. I played a 24 for about a year & really liked it as it's a decent balance between a 22 & a 26 (and it's not bad to lug around to gigs).
Aesthetically, it's nice as it fills in the space that seems to make smaller kick drums look really small under cymbals & rack toms.
That’s my thing I like the look of a 24 with my kit but there is nothing wrong with the sound of my 22.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Best bass drum I've ever owned is a 22x14 1966 Ludwig Super Classic. It has bottom end for days and just feels better when locked in with a bass guitar. I did have a 24 x 16 Ludwig 6 ply Maple from the early 80s but it was a bit meh. Mahogany shell with maple rings for the win!

I mainly use a 20x14 on stage just for easy of transport.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
That’s my thing I like the look of a 24 with my kit but there is nothing wrong with the sound of my 22.
After giving back the 24" loaner, I brought my 22x20 "cannon kick" back into service. With a KickPort, I forgot just how boomy & punchy it was. I miss the larger diameter of the 24, but the fact that the deeper 22 can still fit into a standard drum bag is just perfection.

Bozozoid

Silver Member
Back in the day my 26 just said..ya..im cooler than you..hmm..whimpy 22 for you?. Then I went to a 24 because I loved the sound..especially 24x14 full front head. But forever it just never mik ed out as well as a 22 live which disappointed me to no end. I'm now playing an 18x22 and I take on all comers through a big sound system..the 22x18 simply but disappointingly obliterated my 24.

Will248

After giving back the 24" loaner, I brought my 22x20 "cannon kick" back into service. With a KickPort, I forgot just how boomy & punchy it was. I miss the larger diameter of the 24, but the fact that the deeper 22 can still fit into a standard drum bag is just perfection.
Diameter wise I like to stay around the 18” range. I’ve had some 20s though. For me it’s just preferable nothing against the sound.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Diameter wise I like to stay around the 18” range. I’ve had some 20s though. For me it’s just preferable nothing against the sound.
My studio guy loves the 20! He has one in house for those of us (like me) who bring in a larger kick that he doesn't want to fight with.

sumdrumguy

Depending on the band, I switch between 24x15 Birch and 22x15 Kapur kicks. Being different woods they have different sonic qualities. The common factor is the depth. Love them both.

I have a smaller 18x16 Birch kick. However I only use that for uber-small stages, rehearsals at other folks homes, etc.

caddywumpus

Archnemesis of Larryace
I go back and forth between bass drum sizes, depending on the gig. I think of the character of the drums rather than the sizes. I usually gig out with my 70s Ludwig 18x12, because of how awesome it sounds, and the portability, but sometimes I think the 16x12 would have *just* the sound I’m looking for. I mean, the 20x14 works for EVERYTHING, as the perfect bass drum size, but sometimes even the 22x14 would have the better “voice” for the job, when I want that little extra boom for a drier room. Rarely, but sometimes, the 28x14 will have something that the 24x14 doesn’t offer. It all depends on the band and the venue.

jdavis

I gravitate to larger sized kicks, but if given the option, I'd take a 20" over a 22" any day. And, nothing deeper than 14" (y)

Frosticles

Silver Member
Huge fan of both the 22 & 24. I use the 22 for my main Punk Band & the 24 for the Downtuned Metal(ish) band :)