24" Ride

Nitemare

Hey everyone!

So you might have seen my thread "Upgrading for my Style". Well, someone brought up a very good point about using a 24" Giant Beat Ride, and i was just wondering who uses a 24" ride of any brand and what they think of rides of this size. '

Thanks!
-Shaun

I use a 24" K Light ride quite often. I didn't buy it because of its 24" size but rather for its dark and washy characteristics. I have played the GB and also an older 24" A Medium. Of course they're all very different sound wise.

I don't mind the larger size, especially when I have just one rack tom so my set up is not so crowded.

I think that the Giant Beat has a great sound and has a decent combination of stick definition and wash & crash that works really well. The K Light ride lacks some ping and definition in a louder music setting. The A Medium is good but I don't particularly care for the tone of the one that I was playing for a little while.

Sabian's APX 24" ride has good reviews but may be too bright. Depends on what you're looking for.

Other notables would be the 24" Paiste 2002 or the "Big Al" version or whatever it's called.

Ha. Just spoke about the 24 GB on your other thread. Yeah, I own it. Have only had it a few months but it's quickly become a favourite. Musical, crashable, washy and not the least bit "gongy".

I'd been trying out a couple of 24" for several years. Until the GB's I'd only ever owned Zildjian cymbals. So I kept going back to the K Light Ride or the A Medium ride....truth is, I never liked either. Lord knows I tried to like them because I felt like I should....everyone else seems to, but I just couldn't get into them. When I hit the GB one day (including the two multi's), it was game over......I knew I had to have 'em.

But the thing is HUGE. Won't fit in my hardcase so I take it in a soft bag. If I was gigging regularly instead of just jam sessions, that would bother me. But I'm not so it's of little consequence. That's my only complaint

But the thing is HUGE. Won't fit in my hardcase so I take it in a soft bag. If I was gigging regularly instead of just jam sessions, that would bother me. But I'm not so it's of little consequence. That's my only complaint

I'm starting to gig soon, do you know if this will be an issue?

I'm starting to gig soon, do you know if this will be an issue?

You can buy 24" hard cases....I just don't have one. Or there's some sturdy soft bags available too. All my spare cymbals are kept in a Protection Racket bag (including the GB's)....excellent quality. Many people use bags with no problems. Completely safe as long as you're careful with it. It's just I've always had hard cases when I gig. I just prefer it.....I guess old habits die hard.

*insert standardized raving review of my 24" K Light Ride here*

I don't necessarily think that 24" rides are good, but I love my K. I also have played and enjoyed other 24" ride cymbals. In all honesty, the 24" was a pain because I had to get a new cymbal case, and the thing is huge and makes positioning difficult sometimes, and it totally wouldn't be worth it, but goshdangit, I love that cymbal.

If you have the option between a 20" cymbal and a 24" cymbal that would both serve the music excellently and without reservation, by all means--get the 20"!

I don't have any trouble positioning the 24" Giant beat in a 5pc config
and certainly whatever woes related to size are made up for in tone...
just sayin'

but...there are only a couple cymbal cases, bags out there that will fit a 24"
and the cheapest I have found is the ziljian super cymbal bag for $79 on MF
The paiste counterpart is $119

is it sacrilidge to have zildjian cymbal bag for all paiste pies?
LOL

I still don't have a cymbal bag - I am just really careful when I pack them around to gigs IE: pies go in the front seat with me and the wife rides in the back...LOL

LOL. how do yo position it?

to the right of the floor tom, and close enough in so that I can reach the bell with
16" sticks

It hangs over the FT a little more than usual but not a big deal
I keep it up about 6-8" off the floor tom so I can crash it

24" isn't all that bad really - 28" or 29's? Now there would be some positioning issues.

BTW - the 20" Giant beat although higher in pitch has the same wonderful ride capabilities - I use it as a crash and it absolutely shines in that role but to my surpise
it absolutely knocks it out of the park as a ride too!!

And I don't just mean it's "ok" in both those roles - plenty of cymbals can do that
but this little fella really has both covered in spades....

to the right of the floor tom, and close enough in so that I can reach the bell with
16" sticks

It hangs over the FT a little more than usual but not a big deal
I keep it up about 6-8" off the floor tom so I can crash it

24" isn't all that bad really - 28" or 29's? Now there would be some positioning issues.

BTW - the 20" Giant beat although higher in pitch has the same wonderful ride capabilities - I use it as a crash and it absolutely shines in that role but to my surpise
it absolutely knocks it out of the park as a ride too!!

And I don't just mean it's "ok" in both those roles - plenty of cymbals can do that
but this little fella really has both covered in spades....

Is it a washy ride? that was the reason i looked into 24s, someone told me the 20" might be too washy for my style

Yes I would classify it as a washy ride.

One time I was jamming with a drummer (he was playing my kit, I was playing guitar)
and he was more of a punk style guy that really freakin whacked stuff and whenever he went to ride my GB 24 it sounded like crash-riding....full on wash....

but when i play I hit the cymbals lightly and the drums hard...
this is the way Bonham played as well and there is a reason...

when the balance is cymbals loud/drums not so loud your drums will sound small
the balance is off

when you play drums loud and cymbals quiet - it has the opposite affect and your
drums sound bigger....Bonham and many other studio drummers have found this to be true so it is definately a good technique to get down.

That being said - if your heavy handed on the ride the Giant beat will be one solid wash unless you aim for the bell and that is the key - you want ping aim for the bell
no problem.

Ease up a bit when you hit the body and your fine.

It's all about learning to adapt to your gear - different cymbals respond differently.

When i started I had crap cymbals and I had to bash the living daylights out of them to get them sound like a cymbal should....when I got decent cymbals I was able to ease up like big time ease up and still get that explosive CRASH...

The Giant beat isn't for everyone - I definately wouldn't recommend to my friend the punk drummer because he just hits way to dang hard and doesn't yet have the control to back off - it;'s either on or off with him and dynamics aren't even in the mix.

You got to finesse the giant beat for ride duty or use it as a monster crash riding beast
which it sound absolutely killer as BTW

Yes I would classify it as a washy ride.

One time I was jamming with a drummer (he was playing my kit, I was playing guitar)
and he was more of a punk style guy that really freakin whacked stuff and whenever he went to ride my GB 24 it sounded like crash-riding....full on wash....

but when i play I hit the cymbals lightly and the drums hard...
this is the way Bonham played as well and there is a reason...

when the balance is cymbals loud/drums not so loud your drums will sound small
the balance is off

when you play drums loud and cymbals quiet - it has the opposite affect and your
drums sound bigger....Bonham and many other studio drummers have found this to be true so it is definately a good technique to get down.

That being said - if your heavy handed on the ride the Giant beat will be one solid wash unless you aim for the bell and that is the key - you want ping aim for the bell
no problem.

Ease up a bit when you hit the body and your fine.

It's all about learning to adapt to your gear - different cymbals respond differently.

When i started I had crap cymbals and I had to bash the living daylights out of them to get them sound like a cymbal should....when I got decent cymbals I was able to ease up like big time ease up and still get that explosive CRASH...

The Giant beat isn't for everyone - I definately wouldn't recommend to my friend the punk drummer because he just hits way to dang hard and doesn't yet have the control to back off - it;'s either on or off with him and dynamics aren't even in the mix.

You got to finesse the giant beat for ride duty or use it as a monster crash riding beast
which it sound absolutely killer as BTW

THANKS SO MUCH that was so helpful!!

Back