24" kick drum: 10 or 12 lugs?

ENRICO

Silver Member
hi! I think that won't be a big difference , but what do you prefer in a kick drum 10 or 12 lugs per side ?

hi! I think that won't be a big difference , but what do you prefer in a kick drum 10 or 12 lugs per side ?

If 12 is good, wouldn't 14 be better? Gotta leave room for the pedal.

8 lugs actually create a nicer feel on 20's and 22's there's really no need for 10, though the standard has already been set. 8 lugs means cheap.... but in reality 8 feels better.

isn't 10 standard on a 24? I have 10 on both my 24 and 26. My 28 however has 12. I'm sure you will be fine with 10.

I'd go for the 10. I have a 22x22 bass drum with 10 lugs. I have an old 22x18 stashed with 8 lugs, and it doesn't sound so bright compared to the 22 with 10. Definitely go for 10.

ok , I know either way is going to sound good , but the guy who is gonig to make my drum kit asked me how many lugs I want in each drum. and it won't be much more expensive

so, if you have to choose, 10 or 12?

Cio Enrico,
sei italiano?

By the way...on My Gretsch drumkit I've 24x18 bass drum with10 lugs...12 maybe you can get some problems with the pedal...

Cio Enrico,
sei italiano?

By the way...on My Gretsch drumkit I've 24x18 bass drum with10 lugs...12 maybe you can get some problems with the pedal...

the guy told me that any pedal would fit without any problems,

by the way , I'm not italian , my family is from Sicilia , but I was borned in Argentina. my last name is Simonotti so I couldn't ever be named samething like scott or pedro, and we are proud of our roots.

the guy told me that any pedal would fit without any problems,

by the way , I'm not italian , my family is from Sicilia , but I was borned in Argentina. my last name is Simonotti so I couldn't ever be named samething like scott or pedro, and we are proud of our roots.

It just isn't necessary and could even negatively effect the sound of the drum, making it heavier and harder to tune. It'd look a little bit silly, too, sort of like those old power toms that had way too many lugs. That's a subjective matter of taste, of course.

10 lugs, even up to a 26" bass drum, is the de facto industry standard. On the other side, I've seen those 20" kicks with 10 lugs and that seems silly, too.

thanks for all your answers!
I'm gonna go with 10 lugs becuase it looks better IMO and 12 lugs doesn't provide any advantage

Both my Yamaha Maple Custom 20" and Yahama Birch custom absolute 20" have 10 lugs per side. I don't think that we can say 8 lugs on a 20" is the "high-end" standard. the pedal attaches just fine.

Wayne

It just isn't necessary and could even negatively effect the sound of the drum, making it heavier and harder to tune. It'd look a little bit silly, too, sort of like those old power toms that had way too many lugs. That's a subjective matter of taste, of course.

10 lugs, even up to a 26" bass drum, is the de facto industry standard. On the other side, I've seen those 20" kicks with 10 lugs and that seems silly, too.

Back