24" bass drum - 10" main snare, surely not?

The kit sounds great, I just can not get used to the sound of small snare drums, even the sound of a 13" sometimes bothers me. Perhaps, there is some kind of music where this will sound good. Personal taste for me is a 14".

Interesting sizes.
I could see myself playing some hiphop/breakbeat -type of stuff with that kit.

And of course, the drums sound good, as expected!

The kit sounds great, I just can not get used to the sound of small snare drums, even the sound of a 13" sometimes bothers me. Perhaps, there is some kind of music where this will sound good. Personal taste for me is a 14".
In the case of a 10" as a main snare, I agree, & especially with this kit, but great quality 13" makes a superb all round performer IMO.

Interesting sizes.
I could see myself playing some hiphop/breakbeat -type of stuff with that kit.

And of course, the drums sound good, as expected!
Thank you :) Exactly! The juxtaposition of tiny snare & big bass drum works so well for that hiphop / breakbeat vibe, & some other stuff too. I'm just doing simple Andy rock stuff here though.

Not a fan of the 10" snare, but if that's what the customer wants .... so be it. Certainly he/she will have a signature sound.​

it's an acquired taste I guess, just not one that I would acquire. I do use a 10" timbale style snare that is made by Tama. It has just a batter head and cocktail snare wires.
I use it on the side of course and not often.
Perhaps it is for a Jamaican band that plays Zep tunes :)

Not a fan of the 10" snare, but if that's what the customer wants .... so be it. Certainly he/she will have a signature sound.​
Exactly Harry, this request is born of a personal vibe.

it's an acquired taste I guess, just not one that I would acquire. I do use a 10" timbale style snare that is made by Tama.
& that's the intended use of this snare Bob, it's just that this player wants it as a main snare. Not for me, but I'm irrelevant in this. I just thought it was something interesting to put up because it's different ;)

I was asked to put together a little clip of low, med, & fairly high tunings for someone interested in running a 10" main snare with a 24" bass, 13" tom, & 16" floor. Well, here's a 10" snare with a 24" bass drum, 14" tom, & 18" floor tom. What say you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4OeRt-myWk&feature=youtu.be

Well, if that's what the customer wants, there you go. Not a big fan of the popcorn snare, I think a 14" cranked up on a deep shell sounds better, But the rest of that kit is monstrous!

Or go 8'' snare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iwzjxJZxzM

I love the sound of smaller drums as much as the bigger drums. It all has his place.

My 14x3,5 edge like steel, albeit rare build, which makes it as versatile as a 14x5,5 (my first all round snare usually for funky/soul style music)
the 13x6,5 (my second all round snare usually for pop/r&b/edm sounds)
the 14x5,5 (my third all round snare my grab and run snare)
the 14x6,5 bamboo (my ballad snare)
the 14x65 steel (my rock snare)
the 10x5 birch (my side snare for over 15 years, great funky yet broad sound)

I'm with you on this one, I have a 13 x 5.5 big dog maple snare, it's a really nice snare, has trick throw off and is great for a nu metal sound or Mike Portnoy Scenes From a Memory - Train of Thought era. Just not that good for anything else.

10 inch snare would be great for that style.

Nick D'Virgilo does some cool stuff with different sized snare with Spocks Beard, works really well.

Maybe I'm old school but I'm a one snare should do the lot person. I've never found anything better than a Ludwig supra 400/402 with 42 strand snares, covers all bases.

Well, if that's what the customer wants, there you go. Not a big fan of the popcorn snare, I think a 14" cranked up on a deep shell sounds better, But the rest of that kit is monstrous!
Thanks Bo :) To me, the 10" is a side snare, but for a certain vibe, it's more than useable at the main backbeat :)

Wes, I love that groove vibe = superb!

I'm with you on this one, I have a 13 x 5.5 big dog maple snare, it's a really nice snare, has trick throw off and is great for a nu metal sound or Mike Portnoy Scenes From a Memory - Train of Thought era. Just not that good for anything else.
That's a shame, because I regard my 13" snares as being just as flexible (yes, even low & fat) as my 14" snares.

That's a shame, because I regard my 13" snares as being just as flexible (yes, even low & fat) as my 14" snares.

I've really tried to get more out of it but it doesn't really do much. The mad thing is the 10" snare you're using doesn't sound a million miles away from my 13" but as you've said a 13" should sound as good and as deep as a 14".

Forgot to say the bass drum and those toms sound amazing, lotta love in that kit. Build quality is awesome!

Wow it definitely has some tuning range-which surprises me I would have thought it would choke out and be more flat and less range with such a small head. The highest almost sounds like a timbale. Make a 8 in to go with it. Serve as snare, timbales, bongos LOL. I'd thought you'd get more ring and overtones with that depth too. Sweet little snare-a little mad experimenting?

I think it's ridiculous but I can't help but marvel at how nice those toms sound.

Oh my....those toms,and that bass drum......butter.Just beautiful.That snare sounded great also,and had a lot more bottom than I was expecting.I agree that the contrast is a bit too much as a main snare,but as a secondary,it kind of worked for me.

Steve B

The mad thing is the 10" snare you're using doesn't sound a million miles away from my 13" but as you've said a 13" should sound as good and as deep as a 14".
A 13" should certainly offer a great deal of flexibility. I suspect your snare shell is somewhat limiting it's output :(

Forgot to say the bass drum and those toms sound amazing, lotta love in that kit. Build quality is awesome!
Thank you :)

The woods gave it a very natural reverb. Loved it.
Yes, great groove, great vibe Wes :)

Wow it definitely has some tuning range-which surprises me I would have thought it would choke out and be more flat and less range with such a small head.
Such a small size really makes life difficult for the shell to offer a meaningful contribution, but done correctly, these little chaps can offer character beyond the usual one diminutional result.

I think it's ridiculous but I can't help but marvel at how nice those toms sound.
It is ridiculous, but kinda cool to play at the same time. Of course, I wouldn't usually pair such a tiny snare with big open drums, but it's certainly fun. Needs a much better player than me to make the best of it though :(

I thought the mid tuning on the little snare sounds pretty rad.
I like that best too :)

Oh my....those toms,and that bass drum......butter.Just beautiful.That snare sounded great also,and had a lot more bottom than I was expecting.I agree that the contrast is a bit too much as a main snare,but as a secondary,it kind of worked for me.

Steve B
Thanks Steve, & yes, the kit does somewhat overshadow the snare, but it was always going to - it just sounds so big! I wish you could be in the same room. I had someone visit the other day with a kit in near identical sizes. It sounded so weak by comparison, no matter what I did to the tuning.

Back