22" Zildjian rides as crashes

aparker2005

Hey guys. Lately I've been into the huge cymbal thing for my small kit setup. I love the wash, the warmth, just how they sound in the mix.

I started with 20s and have been adding some 22s. I got a very light 22" A Avedis Crash/Ride yesterday, and it seems to have paired perfectly with my 22" KCon MTL.

Thoughts on these 2?

I'm playing nothing but A Avedis cymbals right now and agree that their wash and warmth is very appealing. I like that the series doesn't distinguish between crashes and rides, though a subtle difference in profiles does exist: The 18" and 19" diameters are extra thin, whereas 20", 21", and 22" are somewhere between thin and medium thin. Still, the entire series is highly crashable. I've been quite pleased so far.

Both of those are eminently crashable. My personal preference is for the A Avedis, but it's great that they offer you two very distinct choices.

Last edited:
I’m not a Zildjian player but yes those are 2 beautifully different cymbal voices. You could easily take either to a gig and not lack a crash or ride sound. Do you have their weights by chance?

Being a Sabian guy, K Con sounds a lot like my HH 21” vintage ride that is in the 2300 gram range also a small bell.
The Avedis I can equate to my 22” AA medium crash at 2700 grams as it’s bright, I’m thinking yours is less as there is wobble.

that crashed a lot better than I was expecting, it seemed to open up pretty quick. I was expecting a 22" to be real slow responding as a crash. Your drums sound too.

They sound great as rides and crashes, and the pitch difference is just right. Peace and goodwill.

I try to use cymbals that I can ride and that also crash. I'm looking at various 22" cymbals right now that can be crashed and also used as rides. I just ordered a Mehmet Nostalgia 70's 22" ride at around 2300 grams from Hazelshould (he's in LA and sells lots of cymbals new and vintage on eBay and Amazon with great videos to evaluate sound, and excellent return policy) that sounds great when crashed, at least when he's playing on video. We'll see how it sounds in my house. I'm always looking for a better cymbal than what I have lol. I'm also looking for an 18" ride that can crash, too. I like a super-short crash sound for our blues and jazz group. My guys in band don't want a loud crash that sustains for 5 seconds at high volume. Which is hard to find. The classic jazz dudes seem to have used rides that crash, and not used "crash" cymbals.

I really like the sound of this 22" Bos New Orleans. Just my ride sound, and crashes the way I want a crash to sound. Seems like good candidate:

Same with this one. Another 22" Mehmet from Hazelshould. He had two for sale they were pretty much identical. His demo playing the way he "crashes" is how I mostly crash with our group - the crashing is integrated with the riding:

Last edited:
I'm huge (as of late) into 20 and 22" crash cymbals. When you started your grooves I super liked the crash sounds. Your wrists are as big as my ankles. I hope you like this post!..if not I'll be hiding somewhere outside.

I had Zak Starkey’s prototype 22” K brilliant crash and the 22” Crash of Doom prototype.

I prefer my 24” protoype K ride.

I have the 21k brilliant crash ride which is what the prototype ended up as. I don't use it all that much. Bit of an oddity in the K line, still a great cymbal though!

I have an old 22" A Medium that is very dark and crashes very well when needed. I'd love to try some 24s but my cymbal bag only goes up to 22!

I have the 21k brilliant crash ride which is what the prototype ended up as. I don't use it all that much. Bit of an oddity in the K line, still a great cymbal though!

I have an old 22" A Medium that is very dark and crashes very well when needed. I'd love to try some 24s but my cymbal bag only goes up to 22!

Yes it is an oddity and the only prototype I didn't really like as it was just too bright even for my brilliant set up.

I had the rpboelm of te 24'' bag myself but the cymbal was just too nice haha.

Ps I just heard Jason Bonham say the 24'' is a Zak Starkey prototype too. Cool!

Last edited:
Reading this and the mention of the Crash of Doom has again made me think 'maybe i should get one'.
Had the 18" years back and sold it because i found it too brash sounding. Hearing the 20" now makes me think that would be a perfect main crash and be perfect as a secondary ride as well! Do i need it? Well no... do i want it?

200.gif

Reading this and the mention of the Crash of Doom has again made me think 'maybe i should get one'.
Had the 18" years back and sold it because i found it too brash sounding. Hearing the 20" now makes me think that would be a perfect main crash and be perfect as a secondary ride as well! Do i need it? Well no... do i want it?

200.gif

I absolutely love my 20. Wasn't as big of a fan of the 22. The only issue I have with the 20, is live with my band on the bigger stages, it just doesn't cut through the guitars at all unfortunately. Perfect for smaller shows though!

Reactions: iCe
I have a 60s Zildjian 22" ride that is way too heavy for me to enjoy as a crash, but the sounds it can make keep me using it- it's a good ride, and the roar when it gets leaned on is quite atmospheric.
I really want a lighter 20" ride, but all the ones I've heard that I like are way too spendy for me atm.

Back