22" by 12"

14" is my favorite depth I've ever played. The only 12" depth kick I've ever played was a DW Frequent Flyer. I didn't like the sound. However, I've heard some 12"-deep 3-ply Ludwigs online that sound incredible, usually of the 26" variety.

I've had a 20x12 but never 22 (although I did have a 22x10).

If space is a concern, I'd rather go shallower than smaller diameter. Going under 14 you do lose some ooomph, but put a mic to it and you can make it do great things because you still have the 22" pitch underneath it all.

One thing I've noticed though is the feel is very different. The rebound is very fast and can surprise you (e.g. unintentional doubles). I myself can't play them without a port in the reso head.

I've had a 20x12 but never 22 (although I did have a 22x10).

If space is a concern, I'd rather go shallower than smaller diameter. Going under 14 you do lose some ooomph, but put a mic to it and you can make it do great things because you still have the 22" pitch underneath it all.

One thing I've noticed though is the feel is very different. The rebound is very fast and can surprise you (e.g. unintentional doubles). I myself can't play them without a port in the reso head.
I built a 22x8 for small stage gigs & I can tell you they just didn't have the sound. 12" would be better, but frankly, I wouldn't go under 14 for any non-mic'd application. The low end of most bass drums are less heard than you think & when I filmed our band at a gig, the thump just wasn't there.

Back