22 bass drum depth

SnickSoumd, would you mind posting back here with any additional thoughts as you play around with the drum more? I’m considering cutting down my 18x22 Starclassic B/B but am on the fence since I do like the sound of the drum as is. Want to cut down for portability/space saving reasons, and like the idea of getting more punch. Any additional input you have would be helpful.
I don't think I'd attempt it on a Starclassic though. My kit is worth 200-250$ at most so I wasn't risking much, my plan was to simply start over with Keller shells if this didn't work. But Tama knows their bass drums and I'd be afraid to change their recipe, on top of chopping a few hundred dollars off my kit's value due to being "modified". Just my 2 cents of course.

For reference, my 22x18 birch kick always sounded a bit "hollow" to me, like it rumbled instead of sustained. That fixed that. But if I compare against my friend's 22x18 Starclassic Performer Birch, I wouldn't change anything on his.

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
For sure, but some drums fight you less on the way there.
:unsure:

• In the 80s I played in a church on a Yamaha something-Custom (a beautiful bright yellow) and it was a dream to tune up.
  • In the 90s I played in a different church on a Yamaha something-Custom (all maple, piano black) and it never sounded good. The 14x8 snare always sounded boxy with wonky overtones.
  • In the early 2000s I played my own Sonor Force 3000 all-birch and the 16" & 18" floor toms were cannons, but the 13" mounted always gave me trouble. I fought it all the time.
  • In the early 2000s at a church I played a Gretsch Catalina and it sounded lousy. I blame the full plexiglass surround. Brütal.
  • In the 2010s I played in a different church on a Tama all-birch Superstar. They were gonna sell it 'cuz they thought it was junk. All new heads and snare wires, plus a day of cleaning and TLC and that kit sounded amazing.
  • From the mid-2000s until now, my Tama bubinga Starclassics all tune easily. No struggles ever. And what's fun about this is when I try new heads, I'm not fighting the shell or the mount to get the heads' natural sound on the drum.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
It's very subjective, but in my experience and all the kits I've played, I keep going back to the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 22x17 as the best for me. RIght now my main kit is a Saturn V exotic and I've managed to get the bass drum where I want and it's a 22x18. Like others have said - heads, edges and tuning will have a lot to do with it, I used to be sold on EMADS but now for me the Remo ps3 with the Falam patch and Weckl muffling is the best.

gish

I don't think I'd attempted it on a Starclassic though. My kit is worth 200-250$ at most so I wasn't risking much, my plan was to simply start over with Keller shells if this didn't work. But Tama knows their bass drums and I'd be afraid to change their recipe, on top of chopping a few hundred dollars off my kit's value due to being "modified". Just my 2 cents of course.

For reference, my 22x18 birch kick always sounded a bit "hollow" to me, like it rumbled instead of sustained. That fixed that. But if I compare against my friend's 22x18 Starclassic Performer Birch, I wouldn't change anything on his.
Just to clarify, I’ll be sending the drum to Precision Drum if I decide to cut down. Have yet to hear a negative review of their work. I was hoping to hear more input from you as you live with the drum some more on your overall impression and satisfaction with the depth reduction.

Just to clarify, I’ll be sending the drum to Precision Drum if I decide to cut down. Have yet to hear a negative review of their work. I was hoping to hear more input from you as you live with the drum some more on your overall impression and satisfaction with the depth reduction.
It's more that, no matter how well the work is done, a modified drum is always a harder sell if you ever need or want to sell them. Unless you're lucky enough to find a buyer that would also be happier with a 22x14 kick, which might not be that rare since shorter kicks are trendy and Tama themselves now ship a virgin 22x14 with the 3-piece Starclassic Birch/Walnut kit.

I won't have the chance to gig my kit before a few months, so for now I can only judge the difference acoustically in my basement, and it's definitely an improvement. But as I mentionned my kick had a deep shallow tone that I didn't really enjoy, shortening it fixed that. But it's a cheap import kit (all birch, but cheap chinese birch with multiple pieces making up each ply)...