20x16 or 22x16 Recording Custom

Torkerz

Hi Guys,

I'm just about to purchase a new recording custom and I am torn between the 22x16 or 20x16 bass drum...

Tom sizes will be 10x7.5, 12x8 and 14x13. I generally play all styles, but mainly funk and rock at the moment.

Any suggestions and pros and cons?

I’m not a fan of 22” drums paired with 14” floor toms. So i vote for the 20.
I agree, with those tom sizes I'd probably go 20. Though personally I'd probably go 10,12,16 w/ the 22.

Go with a 20 to go with the 14 floor tom. A 14 with a 22" kick feels goofy to me whenever I play a set like this.

Also, if you are actively playing, a 20" kick is a little easier to transport, set up, and tear down.

Thanks guys. I am tempted to perhaps purchase a 16" Tom in the future... the kit is quite expensive, so I am just trying to think of a setup which is going to be future proof. The bass drums on the recording custom are pretty pricey, so I'd rather take the hit now as opposed to down the line if you get me

A good friend of mine just bought a set and he got the 20x16, 14x13 and 12x8. I think this is basically what they call their "fusion" sizes, he just omitted the 10" tom. I could be wrong, but I remember my buddy commenting on that.

I can tell you that they sound great and that 20x16 packs serious punch. Yamaha spent a lot of time re-designing the RCs and, from what I understand, the one complaint some people had about the original RCs was the sound of the bass drum. So I think a lot of R&E probably went into coming up with the right sizes for those bass drums and the 20x16 and 14x13 drums (which are relatively unusual) probably reflect what they decided worked best. Having played them, I can say that I'm really impressed.

Get the 22. Certainly if you are thinking of a 16 FT as well. Tried & trusted size. Love my 22x16 RC :)

A good friend of mine just bought a set and he got the 20x16, 14x13 and 12x8. I think this is basically what they call their "fusion" sizes, he just omitted the 10" tom. I could be wrong, but I remember my buddy commenting on that.

I can tell you that they sound great and that 20x16 packs serious punch. Yamaha spent a lot of time re-designing the RCs and, from what I understand, the one complaint some people had about the original RCs was the sound of the bass drum. So I think a lot of R&E probably went into coming up with the right sizes for those bass drums and the 20x16 and 14x13 drums (which are relatively unusual) probably reflect what they decided worked best. Having played them, I can say that I'm really impressed.
Well the guy at the store also recommended to go with the 20x16 in this case. I suppose I could upgrade the bass drum in future; however, I guess it's because I have always played a 22x18 bass drum... funilly enough my old kit is a mapex pro m which had the same diameter drums for the Toms (slightly deeper) but with a huge bass drum...

I have heard a 20" is a good all rounder but I suppose it's the fact I haven't played one personally which makes me nervous.. I wanted to consider a shallower depth as I've heard they have a little more articulation than the 20x18

Looking back over the years I've played drums and the drums that I've had, if I could go back and choose between a 22" or a 20" for my kick drum on my main kit that I bought back in 2006, I'd get a 20".

Looking back over the years I've played drums and the drums that I've had, if I could go back and choose between a 22" or a 20" for my kick drum on my main kit that I bought back in 2006, I'd get a 20".

Thanks for your comments, interesting to consider! Could you elaborate? Is this just for sound or mainly your playing application?

Thanks for your comments, interesting to consider! Could you elaborate? Is this just for sound or mainly your playing application?
It comes down to a number of things. One would be sound - I look for a punchy thud, and with my current 22x18, I get that ok with an EMAD and some light internal dampening, but I think that it would be just as easy, and maybe easier to get that with a 20".

Another thing would be some things I've read about the 20" size in the studio - apparently it mics and mixes very well.

I've also really liked how they sound when I've had the chance to hear them. I can't say the same for bigger kicks, although this is certainly a matter of personal preference because some people clearly like the sounds of even bigger drums, going to 24 and even 26 inch in diameter. Me? I like the 20".

Yet one more thing, and this is purely selfish on my part, is that it's smaller, lighter, and takes up less space in a vehicle. Not much, but enough.

I like the shell bank concept. Get your first choice BD now, get the other one when you can. Get the 16. And a 13 too, why not? Then you can configure the kit to the situation. There's your future proofing.

I like the shell bank concept. Get your first choice BD now, get the other one when you can. Get the 16. And a 13 too, why not? Then you can configure the kit to the situation. There's your future proofing.
That's the issue mate, a single bass drum is way in excess of a grand or more and I'm kinda torn between the two... want to just make the best decision with the limited info. I may see with the 16 Tom what the quotes are like... decisions decisions...

That's the issue mate, a single bass drum is way in excess of a grand or more and I'm kinda torn between the two... want to just make the best decision with the limited info. I may see with the 16 Tom what the quotes are like... decisions decisions...

Are you going to be on the kit majority in a room practicing?? Or in a band setting playing with them?? I'd go 20" if by yourself most of the time.... and 22" if you are in a band setting the majority of the time.

In principle I would go with 22" for utility but in your case I would lean towards the 20" to match the 14" floor tom if portability is a major factor.

If you can squeeze a bit more out of your budget I'd go with a 22"x16" kick and 16" floor tom. Seems to me that those sizes are more "universal" and resale value might be higher (even though that's probably the last thing on your mind). You may suffer from buyer's remorse if you choose the 20" when you really want the 22".

One consideration is that Tom placement bugs the hell out of me at the moment as I can't get it quite right with my mapex, although I do have a 12x9 as opposed to 12x8 so this extra inch may offer a lot...

One consideration is that Tom placement bugs the hell out of me at the moment as I can't get it quite right with my mapex, although I do have a 12x9 as opposed to 12x8 so this extra inch may offer a lot...

Shallower toms make a real difference. Yamaha's YESS mounts make it super easy to get the toms right where you want them, too. I've never had an easier time positioning toms since becoming a Yamaha owner. I'm 5'-7" FWIW.

Back