2020 Modern Drummer Festival

Will anyone be turning into the Modern Drummer Festival? Looks like a stellar lineup that kicks off at 8:00 ET tomorrow night. I figured for $13.00 it would be worth it to watch from an informational and educational standpoint.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I’m gonna watch! I’ve always wanted to go in person but never got to. They should consider streaming every year. Why not...if they can get enough people to sign up.

I wonder if a lot of people signed up?

I’m gonna watch! I’ve always wanted to go in person but never got to. They should consider streaming every year. Why not...if they can get enough people to sign up.

I wonder if a lot of people signed up?
I've always been busy, and never got the chance to get there, live in person, that is. Understand it will have a great collection of talent on display. Enjoy, and let us know what you think.

Skeet6

Sounds neat. I just checked it out online - I had nothing planned for this evening, have a large screen on my computer and a good sound system with sub. I have been to many festivals in person, always fun. I'll give it a try.

Mike B

LeftyDoug

Luckily I don't have a gig tonight and for the cheap price it's really a great deal for a great cause since the $$ goes to the brain cancer foundation. Really looking forward to it. I doubt much of it will be live due to the pandemic. Still gonna be fun to watch though.

yammyfan

I enjoyed that very much. Highlights for me were Gavin Harrison, Todd Sucherman and Keith Carlock's solos.

At 3 hrs, it was longer than I expected, too. Bonus!

Skeet6

My wife and I enjoyed it. Not really "live" - kind of like watching a bunch of youtube videos (without being sidetracked into watching funny cat videos or political ads breaking in)...
We didn't get to the end, will watch the rest today sometime.

Mike B

It was well worth the price of admission! Steve Smith, Todd Sucherman (awesome concept and performance), Alex Gonzalez (a real eye opener) Keith Carlock, and many others really " brought it " last night. I can't wait to see it again. Good to see it was for a good cause. My apology for posting this under Drums and Equipment.

Last edited:

yammyfan

My apology for posting this under Drums and Equipment.
We could talk about equipment for a few minutes. I was really surprised how much I liked the acrylic DW kits that were played. There were two as I recall and both sounded fabulous to me. I think that Chad Smith played one. His tribute blew me away too. He's an even better player than I realized.

Did any of the kits stand out to you guys?

We could talk about equipment for a few minutes. I was really surprised how much I liked the acrylic DW kits that were played. There were two as I recall and both sounded fabulous to me. I think that Chad Smith played one. His tribute blew me away too. He's an even better player than I realized.

Did any of the kits stand out to you guys?
Agreed! They sound awesome. Was also impressed by the number of drummers, young and old, using Zildjian, and Meinl cymbals. I do believe most of the acrylic shells are made by RCI for the major companies these days. I liked Les De Merle's playing and his Craviotto kit...didn't know he was still around, his playing was awesome.

rhumbagirl

I liked the tribute. I cringed whenever someone said Neil Purt which happened a lot.
I would be one of those making this transgression. I blame it on my early but brief initiation to Rush as a teenager just getting serious on the drums. I think someone corrected me only in the last 10 years or so, so it's already burnt into my soul. Besides, Purt rhymes with "hurt" as in, playing Rush songs makes my body hurt. LOL

EDIT: When I learned "Tom Sawyer" at 13 yo, the words I sang were "the spacey evasey gets by on you". Wished I had the time to have attended the festival this weekend. I'm in a Level 1 evacuation zone right in the path of huge fire in northwest Oregon, so lots to do at the moment that have nothing to do with drumming.

Last edited: