20 years of drumming have I limited myself by the way i hold the sticks?

visionvsx

I’m not really sure of the proper terms but i think the name for my grip is matched. I got a shock the other day when i saw Dave Grohl holding his sticks the traditional way. What if any benefits would I expect if I changed grip style? I would like to hear from some guys who have made a change and was a positive change.

I played traditional all through school and switched after a 30 year break. Don't know why, but I find that the one I use the most is the one I am better at. I'm not sure of any pros or cons of either. I now practice both just for a change of habit.

I played traditional all through school and switched after a 30 year break. Don't know why, but I find that the one I use the most is the one I am better at. I'm not sure of any pros or cons of either. I now practice both just for a change of habit.

I have tried traditional a few times but cant seem to get the hang of it and i loose a lot of power on the left hand. Thats why i got a shock to see Grohl with traditional grip as his strokes seem to not lack power at all. Well done for making the change after all that time.

I have been playing both for many years now.
I switch back and forth depending on what I am playing.

I've often felt the same way. I started with traditional but after seeing ringo, bonham, peart etc playing matched I figured that was the better way to play.

Then, after about 20-30 years, I started wishing I hadn't abandoned the traditional and kept up with both.

Of course, I could get around to relearning some of the traditional but I feel like it is wasting time that I could be using to master finger technique or other higher stuff than going remedial for trad, ya know?

I just say, do what feels good or is fun...if learning trad seems that way for you, then do it. If not, there are many great drummers that do not play trad. Just be one of them :)

Getting power w/ your left hand/trad grip is a matter of practice - as everything. When I started drumming some 1.5 years ago I discovered drummers like Dave Weckl (I knew him before but wasn't really interested in drumming at that time) and Todd Sucherman - now they play with more than enough power to convince me that trad grip doesn't lack in power. So I had no "and then I saw..." scenario. But I've been practicing both grips and like both (trad grip makes about 70% of my practice). To me trad feels better (more ergonomical and comfortable) for busy playing (e.g. w/ mini Moeller and/or accenting), ghost notes and embellishments. Trad takes some time to get into though, but then it pays off.

Seems to most drummers it's a feel thing, the power with both grips is about the same. Personally I like to have both playing feels at my disposal so I'm practicing both.

Back