20" K. Zildjian almost left behind

OuttaTime

Hello all....Came across this clanger in a thrift shop...not even a joke was turned off by the spiders and was not familiar with how much that K instead of an A can matter ......left it behind three days before I had a chance to go back. I'm estimating a new stamp ...haven't weighed ......how much do these spiders effect value ....? It does sound similar to the videos of others I have found

Attachments

• IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 46
Cracks and keyhole probably take a cymbal that would have been worth 700-1000 and drop it down to 200-400 dollars depending on severity of problems and weight/hammering etc.

To me, and I don't know for sure. Honestly I've never dealt with this. But, it would seem the weight of the ride, and the pressure taken from playing would eventually just run those cracks everywhere.

Does it still resonate similarly? Or die quicker. . .hmmm

Cracks and keyhole probably take a cymbal that would have been worth 700-1000 and drop it down to 200-400 dollars depending on severity of problems and weight/hammering etc.
To me, and I don't know for sure. Honestly I've never dealt with this. But, it would seem the weight of the ride, and the pressure taken from playing would eventually just run those cracks everywhere.

Does it still resonate similarly? Or die quicker. . .hmmm

Fairly limited exposure to these types or any k cymbals. I am a casual player only gotten back into as a hobby a few years back .....I've collected a bunch of cymbals ..whatever was cheap locally ....some vintage a which I was after .....this k does not resonate nearly like newer vintage a medium...... darker trashier must less overtones ...............as expected

You can stop the keyholing with a rubber grommet. I doubt it will do anything for the cracks though.

I’ve only ever purchased one cymbal with cracks like that. And it was only because I needed one the exact size.

there are a few ways I’ve seen that addressed. The one I would do involves a thin brass 1.5in washer bonded under the hole with two part golf club epoxy. Worked amazingly well and was hard to see when the cymbal was mounted.

That's a 67-77 time stamp. The double strike on the words Zildjian are a dead giveaway. The rest of the stamp matches too, I checked it against mine ?

Does it still have the weight and cymbalsmith signature on the bottom of the bell?

It does not have weight or sig....as far as repairs go....I'm not going there at all.....rubber Grommet can't hurt.......if I decide to pass it on ........any information will be very helpful.....thank you guys

Man...I hear tales of scores like yours, or an Acrolite for $15 or something, and I just...

So this was a thrift store? Not a pawn shop or music store with used instruments? Maybe I need to start hitting those...

this was an independent chain for my
Area ....all run similarly...... I stop in .....and including Goodwill , Savers and Salvation Army regularly ....at least one of them every day. Trying to get lucky on select home audio receivers speakers cassettes/vinyl. Vintage bikes/toys .........have hit many homeruns.......bought a tama swingstar full kit actually at this particular store ....mainly for the roadrunner thrown .........anyway. 90% of the time all junk .......this cymbal was setting under a revere or some other kids bass drum with miscellaneous peices of that kit individually priced 5-10$ a peice........scattered around in the midst of carpets chairs mini
Fridges and other garbage ........I was back just earlier today wondering if any sister cymbals show up..........same place a rogue vintage slingerland concert tom showed up......I passed on it at 15$ or so. Wasn't familiar with it
Not having bottom lugs..... Prob messed up on that

We sure should. I'm new here. In the audiokarma community which is geeat....btw .......they have multiple threads on best thrift store purchases. And separated estate and garage sale finds threads .............

We sure should. I'm new here. In the audiokarma community which is geeat....btw .......they have multiple threads on best thrift store purchases. And separated estate and garage sale finds threads .............

Good old AK. I used to be a regular over there. It was a $10 Pioneer SX-880 yard sale score that got me into vintage audio. I still have it, too!

Ok then. I’ll take a few pics and start it off.

Back