20" Crash

MikeM

Platinum Member
I have an 18" and a 19" A Custom Projection crash, and am looking for a 20" to round it out.

At first I was thinking about another A Custom (possibly a ReZo), but the AAX X-plosion is pretty cool, as is the Giant Beat Multi...

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

I really like the Giant Beat. It's got the Bonzo vibe and while it's bright like A Customs its got a different character.

Depends on if you're trying to find something that best sounds like the 2 you have, or something that has a different flavor.

Check out Sabian AAXplosion Crash in the 20 inch size. My favorite cymbal. It's got a washy ride, perfect for certain things, blossoms beautifully when crashed, and has a killer bell. The 19 in the same flavor wasn't even close.

why not a darker crash to round out the set, a K Thin Dark or some thing similar, seems you already have the bright sounds covered with your projections...

I've been thinking myself of getting either a 20" zildjian medium or medium thin crash. I currently use a 17" K med thin crash, 18" A med crash, and a 18" A custom projection crash. I think the 20" would compliment those well.

But, you can never go wrong with any K's. A K custom hybrid would be a pretty sweet addition to any set up.

why not a darker crash to round out the set, a K Thin Dark or some thing similar, seems you already have the bright sounds covered with your projections...
Yeah, I keep coming back to that... I'm currently using a 20" Evolution Ride as a crash and it's pretty scary! But it just isn't fast enough... I was toying with the idea of an HHX 20" Xplosion earlier, but that cymbal doesn't have a sound clip on Sabian's website and I've never seen one in person.

Actually, what is K Thin Dark? Is that a crash? I was looking over Zildjian's website and didn't find any K crashes larger than a 19". Then again, they don't list other 20s that I know they make. That may take a little extra investigation...

Actually, what is K Thin Dark? Is that a crash? I was looking over Zildjian's website and didn't find any K crashes larger than a 19". Then again, they don't list other 20s that I know they make. That may take a little extra investigation...

sorry man, yeah the K Thin Dark Crash is max. 19", this is a very warm, mellow, dark cymbal, i noticed also the missing clip for the 20" HHX Evoloution - no first hand experience myself, but i have heard nothing but good things about the Evoloution crashes around here...

on the other hand, a 20" Projection on the far right and a 20" Evoloution far left would be really, really sweet - what is your budget exactly? ;-)

Well, the Evolution has passed on to a jazz drummer who will no doubt use it properly. Now, I think I need a new avatar!

I was playing some A Custom 20s last night at GC. One was pretty sweet-sounding but I didn't pull the trigger. There was also an AAX Xplosion that sounded great. Apparently, GC has stopped carrying the Giant Beats. That's a bummer. I did get to check out a Meinl Byzance Medium crash in a 20" size, but man was that thing dull.

The search continues...

So to close the loop on this thread, I picked up the rather sweeter-sounding 20" A Custom Crash that I mentioned above. They had like 6 in stock for me to choose from and I ended up picking the brightest of the bunch thinking it would fit with my A Custom Projections a little better. That, and it was the only one I could still hear when a couple other drummers came in and started bashing away on kits as I was audition these things.

I did some checking online for a low price to bring in with me. I found one $22 cheaper elsewhere and GC does price matching plus an additional 50%, so it ended up $33 cheaper than the CG advertised price. Not bad.

The AAX Xplosion was a close second, though.

Back