20" bass in rock applications

I just got a '63 Premier kit w/20" bass drum and it sounds fantastic. Also, I haven't seen anyone else mention the best part of having a 20" BD: I can put my small tom exactly where I want it...I hate sitting in on a kit with a 22" kick...the toms feel too high, or too angled...

I just bought a used (but basically mint) custom Wells kit (made in Brantford, Canada), with a 20" kick, and absolutely LOVE it. I'll measure the length soon, but it's quite deep, which allows it to cannon, or punch nicely with the EQ muffle pad that came in it.
I will put up pictures very shortly.
Man I love it.. allows me to put my tom right on top in the middle without it being too high.
I hate smacking rim.

Also, I haven't seen anyone else mention the best part of having a 20" BD: I can put my small tom exactly where I want it...I hate sitting in on a kit with a 22" kick...the toms feel too high, or too angled...

Read this after.. it's definitely the best part. Reason I bought the kit actually, and it turned out exactly as I predicted. Cool thing is, it also came with a matching Wells 16" x 16" bass drum, which sounds like an 18", punchy with impressive boom and volume.

Yeah.. I love my little tom the most. It has to be exactly where I want it. I actually thought about going out and getting an 18" Bass drum and a small tiny little kit with a 10" tom and a 14" floor. I play a lot of metal and deathcore stuff, aren't I crazy? HA.

Agreed! I dig the 12" tom centered up right over top of the kick without too much angling or reach!

Yeah.. I love my little tom the most. It has to be exactly where I want it. I actually thought about going out and getting an 18" Bass drum and a small tiny little kit with a 10" tom and a 14" floor. I play a lot of metal and deathcore stuff, aren't I crazy? HA.

Nah not really, for that sort of music you need tight sounding drums just because you're playing so fast. So yeah, good idea to get small drums really.

I've been playing Metal with an 8", 10", 14" and a 20" BD since1990 and I'll never go back to anything bigger. They're tight punchy and cut through anything, mic'ed or not.

Attachments

• New DW Left Side.jpg
    New DW Left Side.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 197
20 is a good size. They're the most common and very much the middle ground bass drum. So much goes into how a drum sounds, To each their own. It's all about what YOU like. I have owned all sizes 18, 20, 22, 24, and 26. I like 22's the best though.

Back